The Escape: Desmond Miles x Reader

You hurried to the rendezvous point, your hands clenched tight until you thought the bones might crack beneath the pressure. Everything had gone as planned but you just needed to see everyone before you could relax. You had to know that Shaun and Rebecca made it safely to the location to evacuate. Most importantly, you needed to see Desmond. You needed to see him with your own eyes and confirm that his mission succeeded.

But when you reached the spot, the van's back doors were open wide with Shaun and Rebecca waiting... Your heart sunk. You dug your nails into your palm and marched towards them. "Where's Desmond?"

Shaun's brows jolted. "A bit late, it would seem."

You tossed a hand towards the empty street. "He was supposed to get here before all of us."

Shaun seemed a bit miffed about your attitude, snapping with his own harsh words, "Well we haven't exactly heard from him since he gave us the signal that everything was a go."

"Sure he's fine," Becca added but she didn't sound convinced. "It's nothing to--"

You hurried off in the direction that Desmond's path was supposed to follow in order to reach the van. You grounded your teeth together. You couldn't wait around for him to show up. For all you knew, the Templars had captured him. Or perhaps he was wounded and dying in the some backalley.

You had been given the easy task of distracting while Desmond was supposed to infiltrate the warehouse. He wanted to prove himself, to show that all of his training and studying hadn't been wasted. If he gave Shaun and Rebecca the go ahead... why hadn't he reached the rendezvous? He was the closest one to the spot.

You heard a whistle from above, stopping you mid-step. You glanced up and saw the flash of a white hood, your heart leaping into your throat. You whispered harshly, "Des?" You raced to the base of the building, climbing its surface with practiced ease then hauled yourself onto the roof.

He grabbed your arm and steadied you onto your feet. "Took you long enough to find me."

You shoved him hard, your anger barely contained. "Desmond Miles. What the hell are you doing up here? Why aren't you at the pickup?" You shoved him against for emphasis just so he knew how pissed you were.

He chuckled, unphased by your irritation. "Babe."

"I thought you were in trouble..." You reached out to shove him against but Desmond held your hand against his chest. "I came all the way out here to save your sorry ass and you're just up here... Sight seeing?"

"Come on." He grinned, tilting his head to peer through his lashes, the way he looked at you when he wanted something. "I'll explain when we get there."

You tried to jerk your hand away but Desmond gathered it back up with a glower. "Desmond, we are supposed to evac the area. Templars are looking for us."

He dragged you towards the rooftop door and opened it. "I know. That's why it'd be nice to get out of sight." He winked quickly and dropped his voice to a whisper, "Just trust me, babe. I know what I'm doing."

You sighed heavily. "Fine."

Desmond jostled down the flight of stairs and stepped into one of the hallways. He walked through the building as if it hadn't been his first time there. He threw a grin over his shoulder before stopping in front of one of the doors. He opened it without hesitation and motioned you inside. "You first."

You huffed and playfully rolled your eyes. "Oh, good. I'll just walk into the uncleared apartment and hope I live."

"Please." His brows arched and he gave you the sweet, puppy eyes you were familiar with. Familiar and still very vulnerable to. "You won't regret this." He reached out and hooked a finger into the belt loop of your jeans, tugging tenderly on it until you nodded in consent.

You stepped into the small apartment, followed the short hallway to the living room where pillows and blankets were cluttered together. Candles covered every surface from the coffee table to the windowsill. It was a makeshift getaway, a simple space designed for relaxing.

He stepped behind you, warm breath against your ear. "I told Becca and Shaun that we deserved a little alone time." Desmond's large hands enveloped your waist, sweeping across your stomach until he could hug you against him. "Found out this place was abandoned and... Well..."

You leaned back against him and delighted in his warmth. You sighed softly as your eyes slipped closed. "Desmond."

"Told you to trust me." He pressed his mouth against your cheek. "Three days. Just the two of us."

You shifted in his arms, trying to look at his expression over your shoulder. "Do we have time for this? Abstergo--"

"Sh. Babe." He shook his head slightly, eyes darting off. "Fuck Abstergo. We deserve this. I, damn well, deserve this."

You laughed abruptly. "I'll be sure to relay that message to Abstergo should they find us."

"What would I do without you?" Des carefully maneuvered you in his arms until you were facing him, his lips hovering over yours.

You pecked a quick kiss onto his lips. "You won't ever have to."

"We've been so busy running around that..." His eyes rolled off to the side. "I feel like I haven't talked to you for days."

Your laughed bubbled out of you. "Des, we just talked this morning over breakfast."

"What I meant to say is..." He cleared his throat and groaned, brows pinching together as searched frantically for the words. "I can't imagine being alone anymore."

"Des..." You lifted a hand and cupped it against his cheek, feeling the heat that burned there. You couldn't understand why he was so nervous, why he was blushing so hard.

"I want to spend the rest of my life with you..." He tilted his head against your hand and pressed his lips into your wrist, suckling against the soft skin. "I want to marry you."

Your lips parted, watching as he placed slow tantalizing kissed along your inner arm. "Yes." You were half aware that you even said it, muttering it again for clarification. "Yes, Des. Of course." You gathered his head into your hands, impatiently forcing his mouth to press against yours.

He smiled and tilted his head away. "Three days. Just the two of us. No phone calls. No missions." His eyes softened, his expression free of all tension that the past few years had assaulted him with. He whispered it like a pleasant prayer, a religious invocation, "Fiance."

You kissed him, chaste but determined, the both of you smiling. You giggled and ducked your head against his neck. "I love you, Des."

His arms squeezed around you, a moan of approval. "I love you... my fiance."