Atlas: Desmond x Reader

You'd just laid down for the night, your eyes still burning from the monitor screens. You'd been keeping track of Desmond's vitals, logging every scrap of information that you could. The Order had sent you to analyse the Animus' effect on the human body as well as any emotional trauma. The Bleeding Effect was only the tip of a very large iceberg and the Order was oh so incredibly interested about said iceberg.

Thus far, Desmond was reacting to the Animus just how you expected him to. It was a strenuous and stressful process, Ezio's life blurring into Desmond's, dreams blurring with reality. But you couldn't honestly say that Desmond was in any danger. You made sure to force him to take necessary breaks, to coax him into eating healthy and staying hydrated. It was to the point where Shaun would sarcastically gripe about you being the group's "mother hen".

It wasn't that you were trying to mother Desmond. You were just... worried. Really worried. There were times when Desmond was in the Animus for days and you'd argue with the rest of the group about his health. "He's not going to be very useful if he's dead." Mostly, you feared that the moment he returned to reality he wouldn't recognize you. Your chest would clench. Your breath would stop until Desmond grouched about a migraine or a stomach ache.

You had grown to care for him. You had grown to adore him. Love, even?

"Babe." Desmond pried open the bedroom door, poking his head into the dim and dusty excuse for a bedroom. "You still awake?"

You sat up, the worn out sleeping bag feeling like a thin blanket against the hard floor. "Des? Is everything alright?"

He opened the door up, wide grin on his lips as he took a quick glimpse down the hall. His voice dropped into a whisper, not wanting to alarm the others, "I wanted to show you something." He lifted up the set of keys to the group's van, that cheesy, mischievous grin on his face.

You rolled your eyes closed and couldn't help but bite away your smile. Of course he nabbed the keys when no one was looking. Typical, Des. "Lucy will kill us if she finds out."

He shrugged a shoulder then nudged his head towards the main room. "Then we better hurry... C'mon, it'll be quick. They won't even know."

You couldn't say 'no' to him. He'd been charming to you even on that first day when you showed up, all poking needles and intrusive questions. He only grinned, joked here and there, taking sly glances when he thought you weren't looking. You told him to quit letting Ezio be such a bad influence on him but he only grinned wider, mumbling something low in Italian that made your toes curl.

You grabbed your jacket and boots from the floor and followed Desmond through the safe house. He was quiet during each step and he even managed to keep the heavy front door from groaning. Once you were far enough away, you slipped on your boots and went with him to the van. He opened the passenger door for you, motioning you to take a seat.

"Where exactly are we going?" You rose a brow, finally grasping that Desmond was actually going to drive you somewhere, that the two of you were leaving. "You do realize that the Templars are hunting you down, right?"

"So?" He tilted his head, sloppy half-smile on his lips, very kissable lips. You always managed to sneak a peek at them, wonder if they were soft as you they looked.

You shook your head at him and got into the passenger seat. You didn't say anything the whole drive through the cluttered city and into the countryside. Desmond finally pulled off onto a weathered and gravelly road, parking the van into the grass. You looked at him for answers but he wasn't going to give you any. He just stepped out, tossing the keys into the air before stuffing them into his jeans pocket.

"Almost there." He tossed a thumb towards the treeline, another hand motioning you to join him. And you did, of course. You let him take you through the small woods and up the slope of a small hill until you were on the edge of a cliff, looking out over the vast landscape of Italy. It would have been a beautiful sight during the day. But at night it held its own secret beauty that very few would get to see, pale moonlight spilling out over the land, shadows intermingling with moonbeams.

But it was the stars that truly stole the show. They were speckled and dusted, the Milky Way stretched wide across the heavens. You drew in your bottom lip, your feet slowing to a shuffle as you admired the magnificent location. He had brought you all the way out here, pulled you away from the safe house and the never ending worries that plagued you.

Desmond sat down in the grass, draping his arms over his knees. "It's good here."

You chuckled softly. "Good? I'd say... great." You slowly sat down next to him, your eyes still trying to take in all of the details.

He took down a sharp breath which snapped hold of your attention. He must have seen your glower because he slowly began to mutter, "I'm scared. I don't think..." Desmond slammed his palms flat into the earth. "How the hell am I supposed to do this? How am I supposed to help them? I'm just some bartender. I'm just... some stupid kid." His hands flew up to his face and you had just manage to catch a glimpse of glistening tears. "Damn it."

"Des, it's okay." You rolled up onto your knees. You reached out and curled your fingers around his wrists. "It's okay if you need to cry. You have this huge burden on your shoulders right now and... not even Atlas could withhold all of the crap the Order has thrown on you."

He rubbed his palm over his eyes then allowed you to pulled them away from his face. "I'm sorry... I brought you here to..." He shook his head, his smile weakly trying to return. "I wanted to have a nice happy moment and now I've ruined it."

You tilted your head away, face burning harshly under the heat of a blush. You knew how much you cared about him but you never truly knew if his flirting had been all that serious. Here and now, perhaps, it could be confirmed that he felt the same way.

You took hold of his hands and weaved your fingers with his, delighting in the small and minor touch. "You didn't ruin anything, Des." You brought his knuckles to your mouth, placing soft kisses onto them. You looked up to see his eyes just as admirably gazing. He licked his lips, perhaps to say something or perhaps to ready himself to lean forward for the kiss. But you didn't give him time. You hurried forward and pressed your mouth against his, eyes slipping closed and lips soft with uncertainty.

Desmond's body quivered, his hands shaking and his lips trembling even after you pulled away from the chaste first kiss. His eyes remained closed for another moment as he released the breath he'd been holding. The corners of his lips twitched into a smile, a sigh chuckling free.

Your nerves were still rattled but the fear of rejection was long gone. You sat down a little closer to him, your hip with his, your head back against his chest. "This was a lovely idea, Des. Thank you."

He didn't reply. He didn't have to. His arms sliding around you was answer enough.