Prologue

Copyright © 2015 by AllysonShea

---

---

--- 2011: 13 Years of Age ---

Joyful laughter fills the space around us, while the birds above sing songs of our happiness. I watch as the average height, blonde figure nearby attempts to ride the skateboard that she just received for her fourteenth birthday. A boy with light brown hair and large eyes tries to teach her how to swerve to the left, but his instructions aren't crystal clear, and the girl topples over him, bringing them both to the ground.

I laugh outwardly, enjoying the sight of my two best friends. The blonde girl pushes her hair out of her face, frowning at my laughter. I force myself to cease the action. "I'm sorry, Hanna. Are you alright?"

She quickly stands up, acting as if she hadn't fallen in the first place. "Of course I'm alright, Tori. I'm always alright."

"I'm fine as well, thanks for asking guys." I smile at Sean, the boy who is attempting to stand once again, not putting forward too much effort. Hanna rolls her eyes drastically, grabbing his hands and pulling him up.

The three of us are like the perfect family. We may not be related by blood, but our heartbeats are connected and our souls act as if they are siblings. Passersby might view us as a group of young, middle school friends, who will surely break off from each other before high school.

They're wrong because I know we will be friends in the future as well.

A loud noise comes from down the street, and we all turn to see the source. A bus turns the corner and begins driving towards us. We move to the sidewalk, watching the bus as it passes by. It looks odd, as if it's a hybrid of many types of buses. Eventually, it leaves our street, and Sean and I run back out into the street, preparing to educate Hanna on skateboards.

Hanna's eyes are still glued where the bus had just disappeared from view.

---

---

Prologue added 11/20/15. Set in 2011. The characters are 13/14 years of age. The rest of the story is present day (2015/2016) and the characters are 17/18. Hope you liked the prologue.