Chapter Sixteen

Hope you enjoy! The image is Jake played by Taylor Lautner, and in case you're curious the other boy mentioned in this chapter is imagined as Niall Matter :)

---

---

My little black dress is skin tight and it compliments my small but athletic figure. Some of the college students might consider me a slut for showing so much skin. However, when preparing for a party, there is always the option of wearing less than what you choose. At least I'm not arriving without any clothes on.

I slip on a pair of two inch, black heels after applying simple, dark eye shadow and lip gloss to my face. I could handle taller shoes, but I'd rather not deal with the struggle. Grabbing a leather clutch that I had set aside for when I was ready, I stuff my phone and a few emergency dollars inside and walk over to the single window in my bedroom.

Pulling the window open, I push the mesh cover out of the way and attempt to climb out of the room and onto the roof. Cold air punches my face violently, causing me to shiver in response. I make my way off the roof, trying not to make any sudden, loud noises.

After carefully lowering myself from the roof, I pull my dress down out of habit and begin following the dimly lit sidewalk. It's strange to think that my older brother is mere streets away and yet our parents are oblivious. Lying to my parents about my whereabouts would have been utterly impossible considering their broken relationship with their son, so instead I decided to sneak out into the dark night.

After walking for a little while, I begin to hear the faint sound of alternative rock music playing from a nearby house. As I approach my destination, the music grows louder, and the house seems more familiar.

Red solo cups and beer bottles litter the front yard, an obvious sign that I've arrived at the correct place. Making my way to the door, I take note that couples are making out on the deck, not caring about curious passersby. I squeeze my way through the doorway, trying to avoid making physical contact with a stranger.

Sweaty bodies grind against each other inside the house, dancing as if the zombies have finally taken over. Some of the students appear to be so incredibly intoxicated that they've broken most of the large furniture in the house due to swaying uncontrollably. I don't plan to join them in their efforts to piss off the owner of the home.

I search the crowd full of socializing young men and woman, unsuccessfully looking for my brother. I sigh at his absence, knowing he must be further inside the house. I mentally prepare myself as I make my way towards what seems to be the kitchen.

The kitchen is packed with people and alcohol. An unconscious teenager lay sprawled across the counter top, his clothes covered with various liquids and a bottle of vodka still in his hand. I stare at his figure with pity as I pass by, knowing he must be younger than I am. He couldn't be any older than a sophomore.

Not being able to stand the overcrowded area, I decide that I'll go outside and text Jake. I exit the kitchen as quickly as possible and I'm making my way back outside when someone grabs my arm. I turn my head towards the person, alarmed by the sudden contact, but I let out a deep breath when I realize who has approached me. "Oh my gods, Jake. It's you," I say as I wrap my arms around him in a bear hug. He laughs at my reaction, holding me tightly, just as an older sibling should.

Although it's been a while since we last saw each other, with our greeting I know that our relationship can be saved. We let go of each other, both of us grinning crazily. "You look so different, Tori," he says as he studies my face. "You're so grown up now."

"You look exactly the same, Jake," I say teasingly, imagining the two of us as children, fighting over who would get the last Popsicle. In reality, we both have our younger selves inside us, and ours are burning bright tonight. "I thought you would have grown facial hair by now."