Still Single

"Dad, get out the house!" I yelled, banging my hand on his bedroom door. "Come on, Dad! Get out the house! Wake up!"

I heard some sleepy groaning and grumbling from both Mum and Dad.

"Go away, Zoey," Dad grumbled.

Dan started banging on the door. "Dad, get up!"

"Kids, it's –"

"Mum's last day not legally tied to you. Let her live a little," I grinned at the shut door.

I definitely heard Mum laugh a little. Even so the door didn't open. Dan and I looked at each other and then grinned. We headed downstairs and went into the kitchen to set about making snacks just to waste a little time so that it didn't look suspicious. Also, Dan needed to eat before he left.

"Everything in the car?" I asked.

He nodded. "Thanks for waking me up."

"Eighteen years," I shook my head wryly. "It's taken me eighteen years to wake up earlier than you. Nearly nineteen."

He smiled. "First time for everything."

"You do realise that I fully expect you to cross the hall and wake me up when we're in London, right?"

"Even though you're sharing a room with Lexie?"

I nodded. "Though, since we got the mixed shared accommodation she might end up sharing with Sergey most of the time." I scowled.

He shrugged. "I suppose you'll be sharing with me then."

I frowned. "What about Alyssa?"

He sighed and a tear fell from his eyes. I abandoned my snack and gave him a hug. He'd seemed so happy yesterday when he'd come home from her house. There had been something under the surface, but every couple had their first spat at some point and since he hadn't wanted to talk about it at all, I'd put it down to that. I knew how he felt. With university around the corner Grigory and I had been arguing a little. He wanted to spend all his time with me which I'd loved to start off with, but then everything just felt a little clingy and a bit forced. I'd flipped at him eventually, we had an argument in the street which had been nothing short of embarrassing, but we'd both been more balanced since.

Apparently that hadn't happened for Dan. His shoulders began to shake but he quickly pulled himself together because of what was happening tomorrow and not wanting to ruin it for Mum and Dad. The Wedding. They were finally getting married and he didn't want the happiness of today or tomorrow to be ruined by him breaking up with Alyssa.

"She said she felt like she was only choosing Westminster because I'd be there," he said.

"So where's she going?"

"St. Andrews."

Holy shit. "So long distance or..."

"We're firmly on the or side of things. She thought it would be best. She's afraid that I'll go back to.... well, you know."

"Getting drunk, not recognising your twin and flirting with her?"

He made a face. "I thought we were never going to bring that up again. Come on, let's do this."

"Wait, Dan. Talk to Dad, ok."

"Zoey, you know how –"

"Important this is for him. How you don't want to bring the mood down yada, yada, yada," I waved off. "He'll ask how she is and if you know what she's wearing and make some inappropriate joke. He'll feel worse if he upsets you. Just tell him. Tell him you don't want to talk about it or make a fuss if you must. But tell him."