Chapter Nine - Jabberwocky

Start from the beginning

            When I said the word a sudden picture flashed in front of my eyes. A quick image of scales and teeth and fury flitted through my mind. It left so quickly I couldn’t have been sure if it my imagination, or something more concrete.

            “You killed it Alice,” he muttered, and I stilled, trying to reimagine the image I just saw; Sharp teeth, rusty scales, and a lashing tail. The picture became sharper, and after a moment it came into motion. The picture had turned into a moving picture. The creature lunged forward and

            I jumped back. Heat brushed against my face, heat that was the Jabberwocky’s breath. My hand clutched around the blade I held in my hand. The designs etched into the grip pushed against my skin, but the pain was bearable. It was heavy, but the adrenaline was pumping through my veins like a drug. I was ready to lung, to attack the beast. I could hear the blood pumping in my ears and

            “Alice,” Harry said, puling me out from my memory. “Alice, are you okay?”

            “I remember,” I said, and I felt my voice brighten. Like a fire lit to a Chinese lantern I could feel myself soar. “I-I mean I can only remember a little bit of the battle with the Jabberwocky, but … but it’s something right?”

            He answered with pressing his lips on mine, for just a second before pulling away. It was obvious my body was familiar with his, and my hands reached to pull him closer before he broke it off.

            “I’m sorry,” he blurted, jumping back, shaking his head, “this is already confusing. You don’t need me to confuse things.”

            “You don’t need to apologize,” I said, looking up at him, “if regaining my memory is anything like the Jabberwocky memory was, I need to be reminded of things in my past.” I paused, thinking of ways to phrase what I was thinking. “Correct me if I’m wrong, but you seem to be a major part in that.”

            “I guess I was,” he says, and a smile I found myself liking appearing.

            “Then don’t apologize,” I said, trying to sound playful, but it came out sounding serious. He looked like he was ready to rewind to a few moments before, but I pivoted away from him, looking at the trodden path. “We need to get moving, need I remind you again?”

            “No, I’ve got everything under control,” he told me, moving a few paces ahead. “Just follow me and try not to get lost,” he exclaimed, and then he started off. I followed behind, and I would’ve walked next to him, but the trail was thin. I wondered aloud why they named such a thin walkway after a monstrously large being.

            “It’s the path for those who need to go around his cave,” Harry answered. “Until you killed him he was a constant threat. A pawn of the Queen of Hearts.” If I could remember the entire thing, I thought dismally. “We might want to be quiet soon though,” he warned, looking to his left after he heard a branch crack. He lowered his voice as he continued. “You never can be sure of what’s in the forest.”

            “Okay,” I said softly, letting a silence overtake us. It wasn’t comfortable, but it was uncomfortable either. It was just there, and there with us was the ghost of a girl named Alice. She haunted me, and I bet she haunted Harry as well.

            Another ghost was traveling down the road with us, but it was a different type. It was a phantom. The cat was magenta and purple and its opacity was barely existent. There was one thing you could see clearly though; it’s eyes.

            Flitting through my mind was a human, and a past image of the cat, and they both felt real. The second, I told myself. This reality, I told myself, but I could practically hear myself laughing in return.

            Along with the laughter I was telling myself I didn’t have a fucking clue what was happening with my life. I was either going insane, or I waking up.

            Personally, I was hoping there was another option.

Authors Note ~ Long awaited update, I'm sorry it took so long. School's out, and this is my second update in a night, so I think Luce is back to Wattpad :) Comment your thoughts about this chapter, and you theories on what the hell is happening. 

As always best comment/theory gets the dedication.

<3

Luce