1930's! Bucky x reader - Chinatown

A/n
This imagine was requested by the fabulous marvels_agents100 . I hope that you like it!!!
~Hope

(November 2015)
--------------------------------------------

"Hey Doll". "What do you want James?" You replied coldly. "Doll don't be so frosty, are you free tonight?" He flashed you his award winning smile. "Yes". You stated, not saying anything else.

You knew what Bucky was like with the girls: he'd use them and leave them. You didn't want to be another of his one date things. You were to be appreciated and loved, cared for and not forgotten the next day. You worked at the diner where most of the dock workers went after their shifts. You always had men trying to be cocky and get a kiss but you just ignored them. You were the ice queen of Brooklyn. Most gave up after a while but not Bucky. Everyday at the same time, the same booth, the same order, eating with the same man, he asked you the same question.

"Come on Doll," he called after you as you walked off to the counter. "Bucky why won't you just let her go. She obviously doesn't want to go out with you. When you have the pick of all the girls in Brooklyn, why do you spend all of your time on her? I haven't seen you even look at another gal since you first asked her out. What's going on?" His blonde friend that you had learnt was called Steve. You listened in on their conversation wanting to know more. "She's different Steve. She doesn't just say yes the first time you ask her something. She doesn't just give in. She has a fiery willpower and I like that about her". Bucky explained seriously. "So you like her because she doesn't like you?" "Exactly. Wait one sec Steve". He got up from his seat and walked over to you where you were slurping your cola.

"Listen Y/n, I know that you think that you know me, but you don't. Please just give me a chance. 1 date. That's it and I'll leave you alone. Just one chance please, that's all I want. Otherwise I'll just keep asking every day." He begged you with his adorable puppy dog eyes. You felt yourself melt at his words. "I don't really have a choice do I?" You huffed. He shook his head. "I promise you that you won't forget it." He beamed. "I better not". You smirked. "What time do you get off work?" He asked. "In 50 minutes. But I can't go like this". You said gesturing towards your diner uniform, a mint green chequered dress with a pastel pink apron. "Y/n, you would look beautiful in a trash bag. Don't worry about it." He smiled, causing you to blush lightly. "I have to take Steve home but I'll be back in 50 minutes, okay?" He looked back to Steve whom was sitting and staring at his strawberry shake. "Okay, but don't stand me up James". You warned. "I would never". He smiled before returning to Steve.

~*~

At 8 o'clock Bucky stayed true to his word and met you outside of the diner after your shift. He looked like a figure from a dream, cropped hair styled with gel, bright cobalt eyes widening in happiness, soft peach lips slightly pursed. He was dressed in a  black suit jacket, white shirt and kinda smart trousers with a grey scarf around his neck. "Hi James." You called. He faced you with a humongous smile. "Hi doll!" "So where are we goin?" You asked. "Well I can imagine that a gal like you wouldn't be interested in a boring ol' date. So we're gonna go somewhere new. We're gonna go to Chinatown!" He stated proudly. "Chinatown? What are we gonna do in Chinatown?" You linked your arm with his as you walked down the street. "Well I know a guy. Name's Chang Su Ling. He owns a new restaurant, he's offered to reserve a table for us". "James it seems that you know everyone in Brooklyn: The Irish, The Italians and the Chinese. You would be great as an ambassador for international relations". Bucky looked proud at the statement. "I'm happy that you pay such attention to me",

~*~

You arrived at The Jade Dragon after about 20 minutes walk. "Mr Barnes!" The thin man, black haired man called from out of the kitchen. "Chang! Hey man! How many times do I have to tell you? It's just Bucky." He gave Chang a brotherly embrace. "Is this the girl that you were talking about? She is prettier than you described." He smiled at you. "Now Chang, you better not be trying to steal my date". Bucky glared playfully. "No Bucky, of course not. Take a seat, I'll send Daquan over in a minute". He motioned to a table and smiled before leaving you.

"This place is lovely Bucky". "It's no problem, anything for you doll". He winked. "Ah Bucky, it's good to see you and this must be the girl that you haven't shut up about, you must be y/n.  Pleasure to meet you. So what would you like?" "I'll have the chicken noodles please, and what has James being saying about me?" You answered. "Nothing bad, don't worry. I like her Buck, keep her." He smiled. "What is it with you lot? Ya better keep your eyes off my girl Daquan. But I'll have the chicken noodles as well please". Bucky joked. Daquan laughed and took the orders and went into the kitchen. "Awww are you already protective of me, James?" You cooed. Bucky blushed and looked down.

You chatted until Daquan brought out your food. "Xièxiè".thank you. You thanked him as he placed down your food. "Méi wèntí. Qǐng xiǎngyòng" No problem, Enjoy your meal. Daquan smiled fondly. "You speak Mandarin?" Bucky gasped in astonishment. "Yeah of course. Don't you?" You smirked as you ate your noodles. "Barnes, shut ya mouth, you're catching flies". He quickly shut his mouth. "Wow Doll, you really are something".

~*~

After you finished your meal at The Jade Dragon, you thanked Chang and Daquan and left the establishment. "Where are we gonna go now?" You smiled at him. "Well I wanna show you somethin'. Come on." He grabbed your hand and pulled you through the empty , colourful streets of Chinatown. "Bucky? Where are we going?" You laughed as you sped down the street. He didn't answer until you got to to a fire escape behind a spice shop. "James I can't get up there!" You laughed. "I'll help you." He smiled before lifting you up, deaf to your squealing.

With his help you pulled yourself into the metal stairs and started your assent. The din of the metal against your shoes rang out in the cold New York air. By the time you reached the top stairs, you were panting heavily.

"Ya tired Doll?" "I'm a waitress not Jesse Owens." You breathed out. He chuckled and rolled his eyes. "I never said you were doll. Come 'ere". He held out his hand and you took it. He wrapped his arm around your waist and brought you into his chest. "Look at the view Doll". You turned and looked out over New York City.

The red lanterns bejewelled the streets of Chinatown below, making it a maze of colour and sound. The twinkling lights of Manhattan danced across the skyline like millions of fairies while The Brooklyn Bridge stretched across the East River like an extended limb, connecting the wealthy population of Manhattan to the working class of Brooklyn. There across the river was your home. The home of the countless immigrants that had came to America for a better life, two of those being your mother and father. Far away in the distance you could see the sprawling, unstable apartments of Harlem and the train tracks of Queens.

"It's beautiful." You whispered. "So are you. You are the most beautiful thing in this world y/n. I hope that you have enjoyed tonight, I would love it if we went out again." Bucky kissed the top of your head. "I would love that Bucky". You smiled. You shivered as the night air whipped around you. Immediately Bucky took off his jacket and wrapped it around your shoulders. "Always the gentleman Bucky". You kissed his cheek. "Only for you Doll". He pressed a soft, sweet kiss to your lips. It wasn't a long drawn out kiss, it was a quick short one. But in those few seconds that your lips connected, it was the best feeling in the world.

Standing on top of a block of apartments in the centre of Chinatown, with the lively metropolitan of New York City surrounding. With the Autumn air whipping your face and sending your hair into a frenzy. With your lips connected with the greatest man in your world. Some would say it was a dream.

When your family sailed from Ireland a lifetime ago, they wanted the American Dream.

But this was no dream.

It was love.