Chapter 8 - New House

___
Joe's POV
___
I pulled swiftly away from the curve and carefully put myself between two cars in the traffic. I began the 10 minute drive back to Zoes and I had a text on my phone. I glanced down at it reading it for a few seconds before looking up again and seeing the the lights had turned green. I started driving again and started talking to Siri
"Hey Siri"

"Hello Joe" it replied with in its relaxing, rhythmic and robotic voice.

"Tell Zoe I'm on my way now please wait outside."

"Would you like to me to tell Zoe I'm on my way now so don't please outside?"

"No! You idiot! Ok Siri Tell Zoe I'm on my way now please wait outside." I say raising my voice.

"Would you like me to tell zoe I'm on my way now so please outside"

"Yes," I let out a long deep sigh, " God damn it Siri"

"That's not very nice" it replies with.

I pull up outside and Zoe isn't outside. I beep the horn and Alfie pears out the window before disappearing and appearing on the door step mimicking me closer. I sigh and roll my eyes before stepping out my car. I walk slowly down to the door and I hear mumblems of someone from inside almost a struggle. I look over Alfies shoulder and see Nala laying on two of her puppies and the other one bounding towards the other door.
"Joe, Zoe doesn't want to stay with you anymore. She's has a panic attack and is in a bad condition. Please leave and you can have your stuff later" Alfie says coldly to me and doesn't notice the small brown pug tumble out the door and fall onto the stones letting out a soft bark. He steps back inside and closes the door. The loud clank of the lock and a strange smell leaves me worried. I pick up the small dog and craddle it into my shirt. Nala will probably want her back so I knock again but no one answers.

I take the puppy back to my car and empty out a small box full of newspaper and lay her down in the box on the floor of the passanger seat. I glance in the rear mirror and Layla is staring back at me making movements with her mouth.
"Ooougggg"

"Layla should we go home and get you something to do?"

"Hded" she lets her hands raise and starts grasping the air.

I sling the baby bag over my shoulder and take my phone from the car. The puppy has fallen asleep in the warm box so I take Layla out the back and slide the key into the house lock and put Layla inside the door before walk back to the car and lifting the small box out and carrying in the cold house.

The house was, in my opinion , very well furnished and had three bedrooms. One for Layla which was beige, and had a wardrobe with age organized clothes and bottles and a changing table which smelt strongly of baby power and disinfectant.

One for my which only had a blow up mattress in and was cold and had damp growing in the corners. I had tried to cover it with a wardrobe but it didn't work and I spent as little time in there as possiable.

The third was more like a cupboard and could only fit a few pieces of furniture in. Right now it had a small shelf with a few pictures on and a tall filing cabinet used only for toys and my cv.

The kitchen was country style just like the rest of the house and was the cleanest other than Laylas room. I had the help of Zoes pinterest boards to organise my kitchen as it was very big with a island in the middle and a wooden table and four chairs on the other side.

The living room had two sofas with green pillows which I had recently bought with the small amount of money I had left over from YouTube and a small black coffee table littered with more toys and onzies. The dusty fireplace next to the rotting wooden door had a mirror over the top and some pictures of Layla, Me, Zoe, Casper and pretty much all of the youtuber crew.

The small bathroom downstairs only had a toilet, bath and sink and much to my despair didn't have any heating.
I put the box on the floor in the living room and ran my fingers over her smooth light brown back. She had a small black sock and was still sleeping but running in her sleep and shivering slightly. I went back to the hallway and unbuckled Layla before lifting her out and holding her hands and walking a short while with her.
"Come on Layla you can do it!" I cooed

"Da" she smiled to me.

"Yeah. I am your da"