Chapter 3 - Acceptance?

Special thanks to @uglehh and @EmilyDunbar4 for telling me how they wanted the story to gotion a user a user

____
Zoe's POV
____

"Joe?" Joe was cradling a baby. I couldn't belive it. It was Niomis child but why was Joe holding her? he was just being nice right! In side my mind I knew I was lying to myself. This child was his. I just knew it.

"Let me explain Zoe!" He turned the the baby into his body almost protecting it and he face was shocked. I turned and looked at Louise, Jim, Niomi and Alfie. Louise gave me a look telling me I was right and Jim looks unsure where as Niomi was looking everywhere but at me. Alfie was glancing around too. I instantly knew. I was right. Joe motioned me and Alfie into the living room.

" Let me explain... Please " Joe whispered. I knew he needed our support and has was scared. I sat down and Joe sat next to me and Alfie sat next to him.

"Start at the beginning and don't miss anything" Alfie said as I slipped my arms round Joe giving him a hug. I looked down at the baby and it smiled at me. I was happy to be an aunt.

"Well Marcus went out and Niomi invited me and some of the gang to the club and I stayed with Niomi not wanting her to do anything stupid but we both got drunk got a taxi home then I crashed at hers. I only remember waking up in Marcus's bed and Niomi was next to me." He looked up at us and a tear fell from his eye " You have to understand how guilty I was when Marcus found out. But he only knows that Niomi cheated on him and he doesn't know it was with me. But that night I had the most fun I had in a while. Then I had to move in here because I couldn't pay rent and I went upstairs and saw Layla and I had a gut feeling she was mine and then I blacked out and Niomi dropped Layla so now I've got Layla as my responsibility." I was shocked. I didn't know Joe would be so stupid and get a girl pregnant let along someone who was in a relationship!

"I really want to shout at you right now for being such a Rodney but how would that help anything?" I had to try and lighten the mood and I think it worked. Alfie smiled and Joe's mouth curved up.

"Well I suppose you should come with us back down to Brighton but honestly we don't have a car seat, a crib any of the baby things and we can't do a 3 hour drive of you just holding her so what are we gonna do?" Alfie asked I knew he would say something like this.

"Niomi has a Moses Basket so she doesn't need a crib right now but I agree I need to get her a car seat." Joe replied. I was happy that he was being responsiable. Me and Alfie began to think.

"Why don't you stay here... No that won't work...." Alfie starts

"Maybe chummy has a little car seat?"
"Bingo!" He smiled at me and then at Alfie then moved Layla further away from him until she was in Alfie's arms.

"Don't panic just rest her head in your elbow and support her bum with your other hand. Simple. Be right back" Joe said quickly before either of us could argue. And then he slipped out of the room

"Alfie don't look so shocked," I giggled, "Let me see her." I moved the blanket from the swaddled baby and saw her ful face for the first time and she was beautiful with a tiny squished nose and tiny round blue eyes and a full mop of hair on her head.

"Take her Zoe. I don't like it" I guess alfie didn't have a knack for holding baby's

"Nope, you hold her!" I giggled and crossed my arms like a little child. It made Alfie laugh and that is what I wanted. "I'll go look for Joe."

____
Joe's POV
____

"Don't panic just rest her head in your elbow and support her bum with your other hand. Simple. Be right back" I rushed so they didn't have time to argue and then darted out the room. I avoided Niomi as they all was waiting outside the door.

"You know it's rude." I said crossing my arms

"What is going on?" Jim was so confused

"Listening to our conversation!" I replied. "It doesn't matter, Louise have you got a car seat from when Darcy was Layla size? We don't have anything."Louise shook her head

" No sorry "

"I do" I hear Niomi perk up.

"Well go get it then!" I snapped. Jim looked shocked and then his face softened. He came over to me and put a arm round me and patted my back. "Please Niomi! Quickly!" I snapped louder. Then I heard Layla crying. I mutter a cuss under my breath and Niomi scurried off. I drag my body back into the living room followed by Jim, Louise and Darcy.

"Drinks?" Jim asked. Darcy started to climb on Zoe and cover her ears from Layla crying. Alfie looked terrified.

" Joe I didn't do anything I swear " I laughed and slid her back into my arms and moved her side to side. Side to side. Side to side. Side to side.

"It was me, don't worry."

"Jim no thanks we aren't staying long. Alfie just go check on Nala won't you. Darcy will you go with Alfie, he might need help." Zoe says taking control. Layla slowly gets quieter until the only noise coming from her is her slow rhythamtic breathing.

"Your a natural Joe! See!" Louise squealed. Niomi appears with a car seat and put it next to my feet and takes the seat on her own.

"Can someone help me get her in there please?" I ask slowly laying her into it. I did one side before looking up. " No help?"

"Broseph you don't need help." Zoe smiles. I look back down and my mind retraced what she looked like when she was crying but now she's soundly asleep.

"OH" I finished buckling her in and then Alfie and Darcy can back through and said that Nala was fine but we needed to go soon.

" ok my stuff is upstairs so we get that into the boot ok?" The déjà vu flooded in but in reverse and I repacked everything into Zoe's car. Layla didn't stir and soon enough we were ready to go. While Layla was asleep I made a list of things that she will need.

"Are you sure you got everything Joe? And you two are strapped in right?" Alfie asked before letting zoe start the car.

"Yes now let's get out of this hell hole!"