Chapter 11

Derek is waiting for him outside the library bright and early before opening the next day. "Hear me out," he says, holding up a hand before Stiles can say anything. Stiles sighs, resigned.

And that's when Derek sprays him in the face.

"Oh my god, my eyeballs! My mouth! It's in my mouth! It's in my eyeballs!" Stiles scrubs frantically at his face, presses his palms hard into his eyes to try and relieve the burning. "What the hell, Derek?!"

Instead of answering, Derek takes advantage of Stiles' new position (hunched over, hacking up a lung onto the steps) to spray the rest of him as well with some kind of aerosol Stiles hadn't noticed earlier. "You don't have Veela powers, you idiot," Derek says instead of apologizing like a normal person would.

"I'm half Veela! Of course I have Veela powers!"

Snorting, Derek tucks his aerosol can back into his jacket and offers Stiles a hand up. "You really, really don't," he says dryly. "It would be a lot easier to explain if you did." He pauses, reaches out to rub a hand against the side of Stiles' neck, which is weird. "I'm in love with you, not with your magical imaginary hormones."

Stiles sighs, closing his eyes for a second, pressing the heels of his hands to them again before letting his arms fall back to his sides. "I know you think that, Derek, but it's not real. I'm trying to be a good person here, okay? I mean, look at you--" he gestures broadly.

In the early morning light, Derek's hair is touched golden at the edges, and his eyes might as well be their own sunrise topping off cheekbones Tyra Banks would kill for above broad, muscled everything. "People like you don't go crazy and ask people like me out, or assault us with-- what is that even, watered down pepper spray?" he coughs again. "Seriously, everyone goes insane when it comes to Veela stuff, okay? I get it, but you need to, to give me some space because it's still really hard to say no to you!"

Derek has the gall to roll his eyes. "It's the hormone erasing spray we use for getting dragon eggs, Stiles. I wish it was that easy to explain why I can't stay away from you."

"The hormone spray?" Stiles parrots back, blankly.

"So that dragons can't smell us. I told you about this before," he says impatiently, tugging Stiles closer with one hand wrapped firmly around Stiles' left hip. "I still love you and right now I can't smell a thing," he continues, eyes flaring that bright, unnatural blue briefly. "I still want to kiss you," he says, lifting his free hand to drag his thumb across Stiles' lower lip, lighting up the nerves there, "and- I want to do so many things to you, you don't even know," he continues, his voice dropping into a low rumble. "How I feel doesn't have anything to do with whether or not you're part Veela. I like you."

"Oh."

Stiles just kind of stands there, too close to Derek who doesn't seem to mind that Stiles is covered in spray, eyes red and mind gone stupid with surprise. In fact, Derek drops his head to press his cheek to Stiles' own, stubble dragging across his skin and leaving Stiles flushed.

Pulling up, Derek presses their foreheads together. "I'm going to kiss you now," he says quietly, stroking his hand up stiles side and back and just breathing out over Stiles' lips without making contact.

"Okay," Stiles manages to squeak out, "Yes, please, feel ...free..."

He trails off when Derek cups his jaw, thumbs stroking over his cheeks as he just goes in for the kill, nibbling gently at Stiles' lower lip, stroking his tongue across the seam of his lips and slipping inside when Stiles inhales on a desperate gasp.

Grasping at Derek's shoulders, at his neck, Stiles presses forward, fervent and needy, greedily trying to get more of this, more of Derek any way he can.

That, of course, is when someone taps him on the shoulder. Stiles jerks back, guiltily, and sees Danny standing with Lydia. "You look like something the cat dragged in. Go home before you get flu germs all over us." Danny unsuccessfully tries to smother a grin behind her, lifting his eyebrows at Stiles as if to say 'nice get'.

Stiles half-trips backwards into Derek who steadies him with a hand on either shoulder. "Sorry, thanks, I, uh,"

"Just get out of here," Lydia says, rolling her eyes. "You can take my Friday night shift as a thank you. And you still owe me two."

"Yes, absolutely," Stiles agrees quickly, "Thanks, bye!" He turns, grabs Derek's hand, and hauls him half a block before his heart rate cools down even a little.