Chapter 7

Once he can actually keep his food down and stay awake all day, Stiles gets back on the schedule for work. "It's about time," Lydia says as they wait outside for someone with a key.

"You missed me! You missed me, right?" Stiles is ecstatic. "I knew eventually I'd win you over, Lyds. Absence makes the heart grow fonder!"

Lydia snorts delicately, cutting him off. "Hardly. But your monosyllabic boyfriend was here every day trying to terrify anyone at the desk into giving him a status update."

"He's not my boyfriend! And he's not monosyllabic! I talk to him all the- wait. Wait." Stiles stops for a second. "He asked about me?" He points sharply at his own face just to be sure.

Rolling her eyes, Lydia shrugs and leans up against the building. "It's like you don't even listen to me. I'm only going to say it once, Stiles, so listen up: Congratulations on your Veela powers finally manifesting or whatever."

Stiles freezes.

Right. There is no way that Derek is actually interested in Stiles for normal reasons. All those times he'd wished he actually had gotten some of his mom's Veela charms and now that he finally has them he just wants to give them right back. He swallows back against the lump in his throat and manages a sub-par smile for her. "Pretty cool, huh?"

Pretty horrifying.