Chapter 4

The third time, they actually talk. Sort of. "I need a book on the history of werewolf clans," he says instead of hello. This time he's staring right at Stiles, almost aggressively making eye contact. Stiles loses a minute to trying to figure out what colour his eyes are. Green? Weirdly gold? Hazel? They're not like any hazel he's ever seen before. They're almost hypnotic.

He makes himself snap out of it when grumpy mcgrumperson starts to scowl. "European, North American, African, Asian? All of the above? Are we talking migratory history or clan battles history? What are we talking about here? I'm Stiles, by the way," he adds, holding out his hand, "I helped you out a few times before."

Grumpy McGrumperson stares at him blankly for a second before shaking it. "Derek," he says, almost reluctantly.

Stiles resists the urge to say "I know," but only partly because if anyone is Han Solo in this situation, it's Derek.

"If you have something on North American migratory history and maybe something else on Asian clan battles, I'd appreciate it," Derek continues with barely a nod of acknowledgement.

Stiles can't help but grin. "I'll write down a couple titles for you, but you'll have to find them in the NWL or ask someone to help you - I'm not supposed to leave the desk much."

"For the safety of everyone?" Derek asks dryly. Stiles can't help but laugh and rub at the back of his head a little.

"Yeah, yeah, that's what they tell me." To be fair, Stiles' wand can be temperamental, even when he's not actively using it, though he maintains that the explosion in the potions section was not his fault. (Everyone knows Veela hair cores tend to be unpredictable at best.)

He jots down a short list and hands it to Derek, their fingers brushing. The half-smile he gets in return is distracting, but not as much as the way the edges of Derek's eyes momentarily glow bright blue before the colour recedes.

Stiles has read a lot of books about werewolves (and Veela, and House Elves, and Goblins, and just about every sentient magical being or creature recorded) but none of them have been able to tell him everything he wants to know.

Like the Veela, werewolves keep a lot of their knowledge amongst only their own kind, and who could blame them after centuries of persecution; after the first and second Dark Wars? Veela haven't been hunted in ages but that hadn't stopped his mother's family from sitting him down for the First Rule of Veela Club is You Don't Talk About Veela Club talk. Everyone knows that sometimes a werewolf's eyes change colour when they're angry or in pain, but no one knows what causes it to happen any other time.

"Thanks," Derek says, tugging the paper a little. Stiles lets go, feels heat crawl up his neck and knows he's probably flushing unattractively. Any day those Veela genes want to kick in, that would be awesome.

"Sure, no problem," he replies out of habit. "Let me know if you need anything else."

Derek nods once and heads off in the direction of the reading room. Rubbing his hands over his face, Stiles groans a little. Of course grumpy, super hot library patron is also a werewolf who can probably smell Stiles' awkward feelings and when he last farted and whether or not he's hungry. Of course he is.