Chapter 1

When Stiles' very own letter had arrived, he felt elated and guilty at the same time. His father had rubbed his hand against Stiles' buzzed hair and said, "She'd be proud, you know. Your mother loved magic."

Stiles remembered that, of course, but it eased the ache in his heart a little and he grinned up at his father. "Does this mean I can have my own broomstick finally?"

"We'll see," his father sighed.

The long and short of it was that his mother had been a Veela and his father was a muggle and back in the day they had met at a county fair and fallen in love. When she had died they'd both been devastated. His father had packed up all of her magic things - her wand, her books, her broom, her potion supplies and robes - into a beaten up trunk for a month. Stiles had been eight: old enough to remember everything, young enough to think it might have been his own fault.

"It might be good for you to be closer to your mother's family," his father had said seriously. "You're growing up pretty fast and I won't be able to help you with - with things."

"Can't they just floo in sometimes? I don't want to move. My friends are here." She's here, he hadn't said, but all his memories of his mother were wrapped up in that house and leaving it behind would have felt the same as leaving her behind, even though she was long gone. His father had huffed out a breath and said nothing was set in stone, but they never did move.

Back then, Stiles hadn't understood what he meant.