Chapter 2

"I need access to the reading room," someone growls at Stiles as he finishes scanning another return into the system. Stiles glances up and makes eye contact with possibly the most beautiful person he's seen since Lydia Martin entered his life in the third grade. He's tall, with gently curling dark hair, light eyes, and the stubble and leather jacket of someone way out of his league. His right hand is clutching a single galleon.

Stiles blinks. "Right, the reading room. Do you have your, uh ...library card?" he asks. He's never been able to make that sound normal and not vaguely dirty when he actually means wand. The main branch of the NY Public Library also plays host to the main branch of the National Wizarding Library, which is probably the only reason Stiles got this job.

Tall, dark, and scowly frowns at him, but nods, so Stiles locks his machine and comes around the desk to lead him back through the stacks. "It's this way. Is this your first time here? I don't think I've seen you before and I know most of the people who, you know, need the reading room. I'm Stiles, by the way," he adds.

The only answer he gets is a curt "Derek," but Stiles shrugs it off. Maybe tall, dark, and magic isn't really the conversational type, more the stare at the back of your neck intently for no apparent reason type.

The entrance to the NWL really does look like a private reading room, except that the sign always reads Occupied. Stiles stops them in front of the door and gestures at the handle. "Go for it, bro."

Scowling at him, Derek glances back over his shoulder as if there aren't wards all over this whole corner to keep the muggles from poking around, but pulls out his wand and unlocks the door with a muttered alohomora.

Because Derek is so grumpy looking, Stiles can't help himself. "If you need help looking for anything, just ask for Lydia. Good luck!"