Chapter 11 - Dinner and a Movie

"That smells delicious."

Kylie's curiosity got the better of her, and she leaned over Patrick's shoulder as he stood attentively at the stove. He smirked at her comment.

"I'm glad you think so. I hope you like chicken curry."

"Mmm. Love it," she grinned. "I can't believe that you know how to cook," she exclaimed.

"Well, you've met my mom, right?" Patrick turned his head to look at Kylie.

"Sure, she's fantastic," she beamed.

"And she's a total foodie. You couldn't grow up in our home without learning to cook. It was kind of a prerequisite."

The room was silent for a moment, and Patrick was baffled by Kylie's dropped jaw.

"You mean Mia can cook?!?!" she shrieked.

Patrick couldn't help the hearty chuckle that escaped his mouth as Kylie continued her rant.

"She always wants to go out to eat! I've never even seen her make toast!" Her eyes were wide with shock.

"Actually," Patrick began. "Mia's cooking puts even mine to shame. Everything she makes tastes like it came from a five star restaurant."

"I feel deceived," Kylie pouted playfully. "My best friend is a gourmet chef, and in the last three years, she's never once blessed me with a taste of her talent."

Patrick laughed again at Kylie's dramatics. He turned to the stove to continue stirring his curry and to check the rice.

"I guess you'll just have to settle for second best today," he teased. "Her curry kicks mine's ass."

Kylie blushed, feeling suddenly silly for her outburst.

"Well, I think yours must be better than hers, because it actually exists." She giggled. "Mia's never sees the light of day."

Patrick stepped across the kitchen to collect plates and utensils from the cabinet. He smiled to himself as he watched Kylie leaning comfortably against the counter on the other side of the kitchen. She looked peaceful and at home. He had to admit, he liked that she looked so good in his home. He wouldn't mind keeping her there.

"Would you mind grabbing us something to drink?" he asked her. He walked back to the stove and began plating their food. "I'd just like a beer, but you can have whatever you want."

"Your wish is my command," Kylie teased. She didn't hear Patrick's "I wish" muttered under his breath.

After she retrieved Patrick's beer and a cider for herself, Kylie scanned the kitchen. It was beautiful, with top of the line appliances and marble countertops. It looked expensive, but aside from that, it looked used and loved. Watching Patrick as he moved so effortlessly around the kitchen, she could tell that he truly enjoyed spending time in the room. The fully stocked pantry and refrigerator provided additional proof that he cooked regularly. A sigh escaped her involuntarily, and Patrick looked at her in concern.

"Everything okay, Sweet Pea?"

Her cheeks heated at the new nickname. He'd called her that several times that evening, and she was trying not to read anything into it.

"I'm fine. I was just thinking about how I wish I could cook as well as you do. Alec always complained about my cooking." Her lip curled in disgust at the use of her ex-husband's name. "Guess I' m no Betty Crocker." She shrugged her shoulders.

"That's not what I hear," Patrick replied. "Tom was really impressed with your chicken and dumplings the other night." He winked at her. "And don't forget, I got to eat the leftovers. I thought it was delicious."