Chapter 5 - Beaches and Cream

Thus far, Kylie's day had been entertaining. She had hardly slept the night before, unable to close her eyes without picturing Patrick in a state of ecstasy, moaning her name. Eventually, she decided to just get up. She quietly showered and dressed, thankful she was able to slip out of the apartment before he had woken. She had headed to Hollywood Boulevard first, strolling down the street and taking in attractions such as Madame Toussaud's Wax Museum, the Walk of Fame, and Grauman's Chinese Theatre. It had been so much fun, even if she had been alone the entire day.

After a quick burger and chocolate malt at Johnny Rockets, Kylie had grabbed a cab and headed to Venice Beach. She had brought her camera, and had spent a couple of hours taking pictures of the beach and the boardwalk. At the moment, she was completely entranced by a man in a fireman's hat that was breathing fire! She had not been wrong when she'd told Mia that people in LA were a different breed than those back home. North Florida wasn't exactly known for this brand of entertainment.

Staring in awe at the fire breather, Kylie had completely forgotten to take a picture. Her kids would love to see a picture of this guy in action. When she realized her oversight, she began digging through her bag, trying to locate the missing camera. Her fingers had just grasped the soft camera case when she suddenly was airborne. Her bag began to soar through the air above her, and Kylie could picture the cost to replace the expensive camera. Her hands thrust out, grabbing for the bag. She was able to clutch it to her chest just as gravity began to work, pulling Kylie quickly to the ground. Unable to react in time, she knew she was headed for a nasty impact with the pavement beneath her. But instead of hitting concrete, Kylie landed on something slightly softer, a little warmer, and absolutely more welcome.

"Oomph," a man groaned in her ear. Kylie scrambled to extricate herself from the muscular arms and chest surrounding her. She lifted her gaze to meet the sheepish expression of a beautiful male specimen.

"I'm so sorry," he apologized, his voice smooth and velvety. His chocolate brown orbs met her hazel ones. He gestured to a skateboard lying on the grass, wheels skyward and still spinning. "I didn't see you, and when I tried to call out, you didn't hear me over all the noise." He leaned forward and gently grabbed her wrists, lifting her arms and inspecting them for damage. When he was satisfied she was uninjured there, he turned his attention to her legs. He winced when he saw the large scrape on her shin.

"Damn, you probably need a bandage or first aid or something," he commented.

Kylie looked down at her injury. It looked worse than it felt. Scrapes usually did.

"It's okay," she told the hunk in front of her. "I have some stuff in my bag." She lifted the bag slightly into the air, relieved that she had been able to protect it.

The man in front of her stood, and reached his hand for hers. She allowed him to pull her to a standing position. She didn't protest as he continued to gently hold her hand. He led her to a nearby bench where she sat and began digging through her bag. Being a mom came in handy sometimes. She felt like she was always prepared for anything. She retrieved a small pouch from her large bag and opened it to reveal a miniature first aid kit. The man in front of her took the kit from her and pulled out an alcohol wipe. He dabbed the injury and wiped away any traces of blood. Next, he applied some antibiotic ointment before finally placing a large bandage on the scrape.

Kylie stared at him while he tended her injury. He had dark, almost black, curly hair. His skin was golden, as if he spent a great deal of time in the sun. His face held a trace of "five o'clock shadow", and his lips had a perfect cupid's bow. There was a small dimple in his chin. He wore casual clothes - khaki cargo shorts, and graphic t-shirt, and some Vans - but she noticed every piece of clothing looked name brand and expensive. Just like when she met the crazy lady at the car accident on her first day in town, Kylie felt that he looked familiar, but she wasn't sure why.