Chapter 6 - Adventurous Accountants

Patrick groaned as he turned the key to enter his apartment building. He was so glad that shooting was over. It was almost two o'clock in the morning, and he was ready to fall straight into bed...or couch, as the case may be. He closed the lobby door behind him and trudged to the elevator. He was startled when he heard Tom's voice.

"Late night, Paddy?"

Patrick yawned. "Yeah, Tom. Only one this week, thankfully." He looked at his building manager. "Everything quiet tonight?"

"Yeah, yeah," Tom murmured. "Nothing abnormal." He smirked at Patrick. "Saw Kylie earlier. I thought she said you guys weren't dating?"

Patrick looked at Tom, a befuddled expression on his face. "We aren't. We only met two days ago."

Now Tom was the one who looked confused. "Oh, I understand. What is it you kids call it? Friends with benefits? When she came home tonight, she looked well and thoroughly kissed. She blushed when I asked, so I figured she didn't want me to know that she paid you a special visit on set."

Tom definitely had Patrick's attention. Who the hell would Kylie have been kissing?

"Did she go back out?" He tried to hide the urgency from his voice. He didn't know why it mattered so much to him. He'd spent a couple hours with the girl. He had no claim on her.

"Nope," Tom answered matter-of-factly. "That gem had me up for dinner." He chuckled. "I don't remember the time I had a home cooked meal. She made chicken and dumplings from scratch." Tom grinned and rubbed his stomach. "If you don't catch that one and keep her, you're a fool, boy."

Patrick chuckled politely at the joke. The elevator chimed its arrival and Patrick wished the super good night. He made his way quietly down the hallway, and silently entered the apartment. Kylie had left the lights on, but Patrick stilled when he heard voices in the living room. Two voices, and one was male. Had she invited someone over without Tom knowing? That was virtually impossible. Curiosity was burning a hole in his stomach, so Patrick stepped softly towards the edge of the foyer.

As he reached the corner, finally able to see into the fully lit living room, he realized that Kylie was alone. She sat on the couch, tucked into a blanket, while she stared accusingly at her cell phone, which lay facing upright on the table.

"You are letting him do what?!?" she demanded.

"Aw, come on, Kyle. He's a boy. It's not like I'm taking him skydiving," the snotty male voice replied.

"Alec, that is not a river for beginners. He has never been white water rafting before." Patrick could see that Kylie was gritting her teeth, obviously trying to keep control of her temper. She seemed to be controlling it pretty well until Alec interrupted her.

"Coco says it good for boys to start doing these things early," he patronized.

Kylie seethed. "Coco says?!?" she spat. "And what exactly are Coco's qualifications to know what is appropriate for MY son?"

"She was the only girl with five brothers," Alec explained. "You never had any siblings, Kylie, so you don't know what little boys are supposed to be like."

"I know that you had better find beginner rapids for this trip you're planning. AJ does not need to start by going down an advanced course," she argued. "He's six years old for crying out loud," she grumbled.

"This is exactly why I left you," Alec growled. Patrick almost stepped into the room when he saw Kylie pale. "You don't know the meaning of adventure. Pure fucking vanilla in the bedroom and scared to do anything fun outside of the bedroom. My kids will not be as boring as you, Kyle."