Chapter 1 - Welcome to LA

The screeching sound of metal and glass colliding caused Kylie Thompson's heart to jump into overdrive. She slammed on her breaks and swerved suddenly to avoid the two car collision immediately in front of her.

"Dammit, Mia!" she spoke into the air around her. "These idiots in LA don't know how to drive." Disgruntled, Kylie pulled her car to the side of the road, put on her hazard lights, and huffed. "Guess I have to wait for the police, since I'm a witness to this stupidity," she grumbled.

"Do you know where you are now?" Mia's voice echoed from the speakers through the interior of the car.

"Yeah," Kylie replied. "After I make my next turn, it's the second street on the left."

"Right," Mia agreed. "The super has a spare key for you. Paddy told him you're coming. It's not big or anything, but Paddy said you would have room to hang out and a free bed to sleep in."

"Thanks, Mia," Kylie sighed. "I've needed the time to think on this trip, but I'm looking forward to a little company."

"Well, let me know if he's not being a great host. I'll give him hell."

Kylie laughed. She envied the playful way Mia could talk about her brother Patrick. Kylie didn't have siblings, and she'd never gotten along with her sister-in-law, Jen.

"So," she said, changing the subject. "I talked to Alec today. He took his new girlfriend on the trip and didn't even tell me."

"That bastard!" Mia agreed. "Have you even met her?"

"No!" Kylie answered. "That's why I'm upset. She could be a perfectly nice girl, but he hasn't had the best track record since we split, and she's on vacation with my kids for two weeks!"

"What did you say to him?" Mia's curiosity was evident in her tone.

"I didn't get a chance to say anything. I don't think he even realized it had slipped out when he was telling my goodbye. He hung up the phone before I could respond."

"What kind of name is Coco anyway?" Mia snickered. "She sounds like a stripper."

Kylie groaned. "Was I that much of a disappointment as a wife? I mean, I know he's trying to sow his wild oats since he never had the chance, but these women he chooses, Mia. They are the flippin' opposite of me. Every last one."

"Aw, honey," Mia murmured. "Don't let it get you down. That dummy didn't know what he had in the first place, and when you find some handsome man to bring home, Alec will be nipping at your heels in apology."

"It's a little too late for apologies, Mia. He threw away a decade long relationship and an eight year marriage." Kylie sighed despondently. "The divorce has been final for almost a month. I don't think I'd take him back if he were on his hands and knees crawling over hot coals. This last year was too devastating."

"I know, sweetie. It'll get better."

"You've been saying that for a year, Mia. I'm hoping 'better' starts soon," Kylie complained. Before Mia could reply, Kylie spoke again. "A cop just pulled up. I've got to let you go. If I get lost again, I'll give you a call!"

"Okay, sweetie. Love you!" Mia called.

"Love you, too, Meems!"

Kylie disconnected her Bluetooth and stared at the chaotic scene in front of her. She unbuckled her seatbelt, exited the car, and dodged the slowly passing traffic. When she reached the police officer, she noticed a familiar brunette woman verbally assaulting a sheepish looking teenager. The police officer looked at Kylie.