Chapter 14: Gala Night

▫CHAPTER 14▫
▫▫G A L A   N I G H T▫▫

Evelyn

"I still can't believe I'm marrying a fucking idiot." I muttered low enough for him to hear,

His voice was constrained as he replied calmly, "May I know why I'm an idiot?"

I scoffed and all the pent up frustration and bottled up words burst out in one sentence, "Last I checked you had one job, and you screwed it up! We barely had any time to rehearse, Ill now have to meet your parents, and dance, which I cant! And Im going to trip and fall in front of everybody while you'll just stand there being the smug bastard you are and you've also gotten us stuck in bloody traffic! So yeah you're a fucking idiot."

I didnt even have to look sideways to know he was pissed off, but he still looked composed on the surface, in his slow and soft voice that always sounded condescending he said, "You're panicking."

"Stop that! Acting like you're some psychic who knows everything about everything! The only thing that you are is an arrogant asshole but guess what Gallagher? My head is already pounding and I really don't wanna fucking talk to you right now." I growled forcing myself to gaze outside the car window.

The car barely moved an inch every minute in the agonizing  process of escaping the jam packed roads. Besides the varying sounds of a horn or other every second the low hum of the air conditioner and Gallaghers phone beeping now and again were the only sounds accompanying us for a long time.

Getting bored of looking at the same cars beside me I turned my head to look at him, the soft glow from his phone illuminated his face and highlighted his high cheekbones and scar, his stubbled jaw was clenched, and his eyes flitted at the words on his screen. He was dressed in something more formal than usual but still hadn't bothered to do something with his hair and the tousled waves fell just above his forehead.

He suddenly looked at me, I kept looking at him because if I looked away he'd know I had been checking him out, seeing my persistent stare he allowed himself to frown a bit, "What?"

Fuck, why did he have to look so confused and innocent and hot at the same time? Why did he have to be such an attractive asshole?

"Fuck off." I chided myself for admiring the enemy even for a second, simply shrugged and looked away and a car honked at us to move forwards he returned to typing rapidly on his phone.

After a few minutes, Adrians fingers suddenly stopped moving and he decided to look at me, his voice disdainful like always, "If you keep talking like that two things are going to happen, first Melissa and Arthur are definitely going to see through our lies and second...you'll get kicked out."

I sighed dramatically while snappjng my head towards him and glaring, "Ooh I'm sorry my filthy mouth is too much for you royals!"

He could very well sense the sarcasm in my words, despite that he shot me an irritating look, "Glad you realize it."

"I'm going to punch you if you don't stop talking." I muttered and focused my gaze outside the window. "Also if you mess up the act that we have rehearsed three times I will murder you and that's not a threat it's a promise."

"I'm terrified." He answered in a monotonous tone, going back to his phone.

"Don't even try kissing me!" Because if he did I would have to slap him and that would ruin all the plans now wouldn't it?

He didn't look away from the windshield for a second, "Trust me I wouldn't have done it otherwise either."

Okay...that stung a bit but the feeling was completely mutual.