Chapter 13: Play the Part

Evelyn

It was at exactly 7 p.m when I heard the sounds of breaks screeching followed by a single short-lived but loud horn.

After what had happened last night, I wasn't exactly expecting Gallagher to wait on my porch with a bouquet of roses. But it seemed he had enough sense to not let his emotions ruin our plans. He hadn't rung the bell so it was safe to assume he wasn't very happy about this.

Alright, I wont say this to him but I might have been a bit harsh when writing the contracts! But what did he expect? I barely knew him!

I glanced at my reflection in the morror as I finished fastening the small diamond earrings to my right ear. A simple black dress that clung to my body and reached my feet, with a high neckline and lace sleeves. Simple for a simple date. A fake date,  but one that had to be convincing.

I grabbed my purse and made my way down hoping ro catch mum on the way, even if I didn't I'd have to search for her. I was going to sacrifice a lot of time on that asshole the least I could do was let mum know as she was the reason behind this.

I didnt have to worry about finding her because as soon as I reached the last step she must've heard my footsteps and came out of the lounge.

"Going on a date?" She asked sarcastically, closing the book she had been reading.

"Yes."

Mum froze and looked at me without blinking for minutes. Never in my life had I ever gone on a date, to be honest my reaction wouldve been something like this had anyone told me this would happen a few months ago.

"Wait you're serious?" She questioned, removing her reading glasses to look at me.

"Yep." It was hard to hide the smile after watching her face beam with happiness and her eyes glint. If this was her reaction now I couldn't even imagine what her face would look like when I told her who I was going with.

"Who's the lucky guy?" She asked with an emotional chuckle.

"Well," I pretended to blush to hide the fact that I was cringing, "Um...Adrian."

There was the expected loud gasp, "You mean Carlos?"

"Yes, Adrian Gallagher, before you start with the teasing he's already outside so Ill deal with it later."

That meant I need to hurry and get the hell out of here before she started crying, which I knew was going to happen when water started welling in her eyes.

"Bye mum." I yelled and more or less sprinted to the gate.

Sure enough a sleek black car was parked in front of the steps. I walked towards it, opened the door and slid in.
I didn't have to turn sideways to see him sitting with an impatient look on his face as his hands restlessly tapped on the steering wheel. Oops. I was late. I barely managed to close the door on time when he revved the engine.

My head fell back suddenly on the seat when the car hurtled forwards immediately and whizzed through the gates before I could even control my breathing. It was obvious I wasn't going to receive any compliments on how I looked.

"Calm down! We still have fifteen minutes to catch our reservation." I removed the pieces of hair that had fallen over my face and snapped in indignation.

When I received no reply I turned to my left to glare at him. But even if he was eyeing me through his peripheral he didnt seem to react to it, his eyes were focused on the windshield, however his clenched jaw and tightened hold on the wheel told me he had most definitely heard my words.