Chapter 7: Discombobulation

Discombobulation/
/dɪskəmˈbɒbjʊleɪt/
noun
A feeling of perplexion that leaves a person befuddled and confused.

CHAPTER 7▫
DISCOMBOBULATION

Evelyn

Tap. Screech. Tap. Screech. Tap. Tap. Ta-

"Could you stop that? " I lifted my head up to glare at the person standing in front of me.

"No." I growled, continuing to tap my feet and move back and forth on the squeaking chair.

For a second I thought about how ridiculous this was, Adrian Gallagher was standing in a hospital waiti g room with me. He had not wasted any time in taking action, he had accompanied us to the hospital, in fact he had even arranged for his driver to find the quickest route possible. I still don't know why, but he had.

He had taken off his hat and glasses and had dumped them on a chair nearby, he currently stood leaning against the wall in front of me, he had also removed the coat and had folded the sleeves of his white shirt, his tie was loosened and his eyes were bloodshot. The jagged scar on his brow was more pronounced now that he was frowning at his phone, his short hair was messed up and looked like it hadnt seen a hairbrush in years but despite the tired look in his eyes he still manged to look good and I hated him even more for it.

If someone would've told me a week ago, that this would happen I would've laughed until my stomach hurt.

And if they would've also said that Carlos, bloody Carlos, was Adrian Gallagher, I think I might have died while laughing.

Strange, how life works.

I was still in the shock that had first descended upon me when finding out the truth.

Carlos was bad enough already, now combine him with Adrian Gallagher and you get the antichrist!

I turned my attention to my surroundings, or rather the lack thereof.

There were no plants and no paintings not even the smell of chemicals. The waiting room was empty and white. Bland and soulless. Just like every other hospital in the world.

I despised hospitals.

Everyone did.

Even the doctors and nurses
who spent their whole lives here. 

I just despised them more than anyone else.

This was one of the best hospitals in the whole city and the waiting room belonged to the VIP ICU, yet they still couldn't invest in decent chairs.
Mum hadn't actually needed the ICU, but I wanted the best for her and apparently throwing around more than a grand worth of bills can get you anything.

I didnt realize it but I had stopped tapping and moving, It was silent. The kind of silence that turns the lack of sound into lack of oxygen and suffocates you.

"You can go, if you want to." I said after more minutes ticked by in silence and I couldn't take it.

When he didn't reply for seconds I turned towards him, to see that he hadn't even acknowledged me, "I'm talking to you."

He scowled, "I'm here for Laura and I'm not going anywhere until she wakes up."

"Why?"

He didn't reply and I noticed he had switched his phone off. He sighed before looking up, "Because."