Chapter 4: Liar

Liar/
/ˈlʌɪə/
noun/
One who tells lies.

▫CHAPTER 4▫
L I A R

Evelyn

Seeing the look on my face her eyes darted away nervously.

"If you-"

"I'm fine."

"Mum when was your last appointment?"

"Yesterday." she answered hesitantly, "Look, I've just been feeling a bit down I already took the medicine don't worry, I'll just have food and I'll be okay."

Sighing I dropped my bag on a nearby table and followed my mother to the kitchen, glancing at Martin on the way, who was still on the phone and was now trying to silently argue about some changes to be made in the plot of an upcoming movie.

Not bothering to disturb him, I entered the kitchen where mom had already gone in, she was struggling to lift a rather heavy looking bowl, I quickly went towards her and took it away before placing it on the counter.

"Mum! just what do you think I have hired the work staff for?" I chided.

"Oh shut it honey if I won't do any work I'll get bored." She answered, completely ignoring what I said and grabbed more plates.

"Should I remind you that you run a diner all by yourself." I asked raising my eyebrows.

"All by myself? Come on I have employees, not to mention those two annoying body guards sitting by the window with their creepy black outfits and glasses." she said frustrated.

"Well would you have been able to handle that diner all by yourself? and those guards have to be there, what if there's a break in or any other emergency? We need to be cautious, and they stopped wearing those clothes, when you had complained about this five months ago."

Though I tried to hide it, I knew my anxiousness had been growing ever since her last visit to the hospital, when the doctor had given us anything but good news, before she could say anything I interrupted, "Mum I understand your obsession with doing work but let's get this straight okay? You and I both know you're not well and anyone with common sense would take rest, but since you don't want to stay in bed all day I allow you to work, but no even that's not enough you want to do all this stuff too." I exclaimed gesticulating at the dishes she was holding in her hand.

"The thing is you don't realize how serious this is, every little exertion could lead to...something fatal, just...just promise me you'll be careful okay?" I pleaded.

"Yeah, yeah, stop being a mother now."

I sighed, shaking my head in irritation, "Loo-"

"Fine, I give up," She said keeping the plates she was holding back to where she had picked them up from, "Oh and Martin you can come out now."

I looked at her puzzled, until I heard something squeak I looked towards the door to see Martin coming in with a sheepish look on his face and gawked at him.

"You were eavesdropping the whole time?" I snapped.

"Hey I wouldn't call that eavesdropping, I just found the conversation interesting, you can't blame me I'm a screenwriter after all." he said raising his hands in the air.

"I don't see how our uninteresting argument could help a movie top the box office."

He narrowed his eyes at me attempting to be serious, "Why not in fact we could make a whole movie out of it, 'The Dictatorial Daughter" a story of a helpless innocent woman, who is diabolically and inhumanly controlled by her daugh-"