Chapter 12 : Into the Night

Evelyn

Dinner was to say the least...awkward.

Imagine eating spaghetti on a table for 6 with only two people, them being your mother and the person you hate the most.
It also didnt help if the rest of the party was having most of the conversations while you were left simply watching them laugh.

"I can't believe you kids are hanging out, I'm glad you decided get over your silly problems."

Oh, little did she know our problems had only increased.

We both looked at each other at the same time and immediately looked away at the same time, noticing mum watching us we both faked a smile.

"He isn't that bad."

I felt him glare at me,  but being the quiet person that he was he didn’t comment anything about me.

And so it went like that, mum asking us questions me answering in sentences and him in one or two words. However our dinner plates were soon replaced with desert and then mum and Adrian had left for the living room while I went to my room to grab the papers I had been working on the previous day. I reached the bottom of the stairs with the documents clutched in my hand and saw the both of them laughing about some incident that had happened today at mums work.

However once the story was over and mum glanced at me I cut to the chase, "Well mum we need to talk about some...business stuff so I hope you dont mind excusing us." I said after a while a bit hesitantly.

"Oh," she seemed suspicious for a minute before breaking into a small smile, "Of course, it's near midnight anyways I should be retiring to bed now, you people dont stay up too late. Goodnight kids!"

She waved at us as we replied and disappeared behind the room to take the stairs.

"Business stuff? She definitely knows we're hooking up."

I was so shocked that at first I didn't believe he said that. I pivoted around to stare at him questioningly but he just stared with the same impassive face.

"Did you just say something?"

"You do realize I'm capable of joking?" He asked, his face still unbelievably stoical.

I chuckled unsurely, "Well I didn't until now, you can't blame me, you say everything with a pokerface."

"That might be true." He shrugged, looking away.

"It is true, and by the way what else was I supposed to tell her? That we're going to be planning our fake love story? Yeah I don't think so, now, I don't want to waste more time, follow me."

I turned to the side to go towards the french windows and started walking, I forced myself to continue walking in spite of the fear that was beginning to crawl up my chest, I was going to be alone with...someone who wanted to and could easily murder me, I tried bracing myself when I heard the heavy footsteps following suit.

The night air brushed my face as soon as I opened the windows, leaving them open I walked outside to the gravelled path leading to the small garden. Adrian followed me silently.

I could see his eyes glance at the myriad of flowers and trees surrounding us.

By this time we had reached our destination the tiny but comfortable gazebo with plush seating around its inner boundary, candles, and its wooden pillars covered in fresh primroses.