Chapter 26 | Familiar Eyes

"Wait, he what?" Minho said as he drove to work in the early morning, interrupting his blabbering boyfriend. "He ran away? Why?"

"Because Jongin was being a chicken-shit asshat, that's why," said Taemin from the other line. Minho rolled his eyes a little and shook his head from side to side, somehow picturing Taemin's infamous death glare in his mind. "Anyway, I'm telling you this so that you can help look for him. Chanyeol and Jongin are still asleep, but we'll be going out later to search more."

"Alright," Minho said, switching out his driving hand for the hand that was holding his phone. "I'll keep my eyes peeled and call you if anything turns up."

"No, you will only call him if you find him," Taemin said, correcting his words, "because if you get my hopes up and then call and tell me something stupid and tear them down, I'll bury you alive."

Minho's facial expression fell and he internally groaned. "Fine, I won't call unless I find him," he said. "Look, I'm hanging up now. I'm almost at work."

"Fine," Taemin said. "I'm tired of talking to you anyway."

"Right back at ya, babe," Minho said as he spun the wheel to the right and turned into the parking lot of the pound, smiling smugly although Taemin couldn't see. "Bye."

"Bye," Taemin said. "Love you."

"Mhmm," Minho hummed in response. "Love you, too." 

The call came to its close and Minho pressed down the button that took him back to his home screen before turning off his phone and laying it in one of the empty cup holders. Once he located his designated space, he pulled into it, checking to make sure he was in between the white lines before shutting off the engine and getting out. 

Upon entering the facility, Minho went about his usual early morning routine of checking to assure that the cages were locked tight and running inventory of the dogs on his level. Another one of his responsibilities as a security guard, the one he liked the least, was to look over the list of dogs that were scheduled to be put down for the day. Luckily, though, he didn't actually have to perform the action of putting them to sleep and he hoped that he never got promoted to that job.

5:43 a.m.

Minho was just finished going through the book when his boss walked in with yet another cage swinging in one of his hands. "You caught another one?" he asked, spinning around more so that he could get a better view.

"You bet I did," he replied with pride shining in his eyes, sparing him a brief glance as he walked past him and to the line up of cages. He set the portable cage on the ground, dogs barking all around him, and only bent back down once he had the stationary cage opened and ready to be occupied. "Get in there," he spat coldly, harshly shoving the small puppy with black and white fur into the tiny space before slamming the door shut. "You be sure to watch that one carefully," his boss said, pointing back at the pup he just put in with his index finger as he came to a stop beside Minho. "He has a history of mysteriously escaping, so make sure you guard him with a close eye." Minho, after looking at the older and slightly out of breath man, looked over at the dog and took note of how lowly his head was hung and how he sat in the corner of the cage. "Oh, and add him to the list for today, alright?" he said, coming back to his side after starting to walk away. "He has to go."

Minho just nodded and answered affirmatively and formally prior to watching him walk away. Because he had no other way to identify him, Minho walked over to the newly arrived puppy's temporary home, bearing food and water in his hands. He figured that even though this dog was due to die in less than five hours, he might as well have one last meal.