Chapter 1 | A Companion

Life never quite worked out the way Jongin would have liked. He never did accomplish his dream of becoming an astronaut and living on the moon with his one true love for the rest of time like he thought he would when he was a child. 

He had so many high hopes for himself when he was young and tried to make sure he did whatever it took in order for him to live up to them. Somewhere along the way, though, he must have taken the wrong path and ended up where he was, living alone in a tiny, one-bedroom apartment and working full-time as a trainer at his local gym.

"Have a nice day." Jongin bowed politely from behind the desk as he bid goodbye to the customers as they left. It was one of those days when his schedule book was pretty blank, which meany that he was now responsible for all the behind-the-desk operations and other small jobs that came up. In his personal opinion, working behind that god awful desk was worse than his regular job of training middle-aged women who burned more calories trying to flirt with him than they did exercising.

After he said goodbye to a few more customers, he propped his elbow up on the table and rested the weight of his head on his hand as he stared out the window and sighed in boredom. At one time, he watched a young couple, male and female, who were holding hands walk past with their dog, the dog tugging eagerly on its blue leash as they walked at their own leisurely pace. 

Jongin longed for a simple life like that, one that consisted of only things that made him happy. He loved dogs and having someone to hold hands with he thought would definitely make him happy. But then reality struck him in the head--literally.

"Yah," his co-worker Luhan said loudly, hitting the younger over the head with the sign-in clipboard. "Snap out of it, pretty boy. We don't get paid to daydream."

Jongin rubbed the back of his head and scowled at him. "I know that," he said in defense, standing up straight once again. "I was just taking a break. Is that alright with you, sir?"

"No, and I don't think it will be alright with our manager either, so you better knock it off while you still can," Luhan said in bossy tone of voice, making Jongin roll his eyes and groan internally. "Go make yourself useful and make sure the machines are clean or something." 

When Luhan walked off, Jongin smirked as he imagined him tripping and falling on his face. He let out a few airy laughs. 

As the hours passed, more customers came in and left until the gym was slowly becoming more empty toward the end of his shift. Luckily, he wasn't closing that night, so he all he had to do was make sure everything was in order before he left.

Cold wind surged at him as soon as he pushed open the doors, sending a quick shiver into his body and giving him millions of tiny goose bumps all over his skin. For a moment, he stopped to put on his heavy jacket and scarf, humming silently to himself once the warmth of the fabric began to heat him up. He then stuffed his hands in his pockets and moved his feet in the direction of his apartment, which wasn't far from the gym. 

Jongin arrived at the entrance of his apartment complex ten or so minutes later, pulling his keys out of his jean pocket to save time. The fact that he could barely feel his fingers made it difficult to unlock the door, but after some agile fiddling, he got it and walked into the warmth, thanking himself for leaving the heat on while he was gone. 

He unwrapped his scarf from around his neck and removed his jacket from his upper body and hung them both up on the tall coat rack near the door, pushing his shoes off with the opposite foot next. Once that was done, he made his way over to the couch and plopped on it with a loud sigh. Lifting his butt up a little, he pulled out his cell phone from his back pocket and turned it on. No messages--again. Sighing, he laid his head on the couch and turned it to look out the window.

Jongin hated being lonely. Just a companion would nice, he thought, not even two or three, just one. One person to keep him company and console him when he needed to be.

A/N

Kind of a depressing first chapter, but the next chapter will be brighter, so it won't be like this for the whole story. I am super excited to share this with you guys, so I hope you will enjoy reading it!

Thanks for reading and as usual, leave some likes and comments to let me know what you're thinking of this! <3