Chapter 7 | Please Don't

When he awoke from his slumber, Jongin realized it was his day off and sighed contently and in relief. He had no clue as to what he would be doing, but that was his favorite part about not having to show up for work, not having to figure it out. 

Putting on a pot of coffee was his first priority when he left his bedroom. He had just gotten a pot brewing when a knock vibrated in his eardrum and made his head spin in the direction of his front door. He finished grabbing his coffee mug from the cupboard and then strolled over to the door, wrapping his hand around the knob and twisting it in order to open it.

"Hey there, cous," Chanyeol, Jongin's cousin from his mom's side, said, smiling cheekily.

"Hey," Jongin said slowly, feeling slightly baffled. "What are you doing here?"

"Don't tell me you forgot about our monthly cousin date that our mothers force us to go on so we don't lost touch," he said with a sarcastically happy smile.

"Ah, shit, that's right," Jongin cursed. "It totally slipped my mind."

"What's new in the world of Kim Jongin?" Chanyeol mused, roughly patting the younger's head as he walked in his apartment. "Woah, when did you get a dog, dude?" The question posed by Chanyeol caught Jongin off guard slightly, which, as a result, made him pause as he was closing the door.

"Oh," he said, quickly trying to think of an excuse. "I'm pet sitting for a friend of mine."

"Wait, you actually have friends?" Chanyeol teased, earning a glare from his younger cousin that made him chuckle. "Seriously, though, when did you get him?"

"I've only had him for one day," Jongin answered, appearing by the taller's side, both of them facing the dormant and curled up Kyungsoo.

"He's cute," commented Chanyeol and Jongin only smiled faintly. "Anyway, we should hit the road now," Chanyeol said, moving his long, thin legs back over to the door. "I'm sure the restaurant will be packed by the time we get there and I have other shit to do today. I will never understand why people insist on getting up so early for breakfast."

"Where are we going this time?" Jongin inquired as he went over to the coffee pot and turned it off before he forgot.

"It's this new breakfast place down near the mall plaza," Chanyeol said. "I don't remember the name. Found on it online."

Jongin just nodded his head. "Okay, give me a minute to change," he said, his feet already moving toward the bedroom. "And don't wake him up, please."

"Fine, I won't," Chanyeol said, his eyes going round as he spoke. "I'll just wait by the door."

"Fine," Jongin said before vanishing into his room. Three or so minutes later, he returned dressed in a pair of faded blue jeans and a light gray t-shirt, which he eventually covered with a jacket. "Okay, I'm ready," he said as he grabbed his cell phone and house keys off the kitchen counter, stuffing them in his coat pockets.

"Is he okay to be alone?" Chanyeol asked, referring to the tiny dog laying on his futon. 

Jongin's eyes moved in his direction and his mind underwent a small quarrel. He knew Kyungsoo didn't like to be left alone, but it was only 8:45 at that particular moment, so he figured he would be back before 10. 

"Yeah," he said, facing his cousin again. "He'll be alright."

"Cool, then let's go," Chanyeol said, walking out the door ahead of Jongin. Jongin stopped once he was out in the hall and peeked his head back in on Kyungsoo, smiling softly to himself before pulling the door shut and locking it with his key.