Chapter Twelve: the Past Events - in the view of Maxine

The eleventh chapter in the view of Maxine after Angelo and Eva left the library.

Angelo took Eva outside, I can't believe that what has happened to these students happened to Eva's parents – that's horrible. To make situations worse – none of the CD's showed any signs of the Night Hunter. A dead end once again. We had to have hit the record of worst detectives in history by now. How depressing.

"Looks like we hit a dead end." Alec sighed, sitting back in his chair like he was king of the universe.

"Do you freeze things or read minds?"

"I have a friend who reads minds." He smirked,

"Never mind. Jerk."

"What did I do now?"

"You're alive. I find that as something you did wrong."

"Doesn't give you the right to call me a jerk."

"I'll call you whatever I want, pig."

"Last time I checked, I didn't have a curly tail. Now you on the other hand are a different story."

"What?!"

"Never mind."

"Why do you act like this?"

"Why do you?"

"I asked first."

"There's nothing to tell."

"Show me a person who doesn't have a past and I'll show you a boring idiot."

"Did you come up with that on your own? Or did someone have to spell it for you?"

"Run that by me one more time. I dare you."

"Now I know why they say women use both sides of their brains. It's because they can't think straight."

"At least I can see past my nose – can you even see your toes?"

"I'm not fat."

"Yeah right. I bet under your baggy emo shirt is a bunch of flabby disgusting floppy fat." I turned back to the computer and put the heat sensor on. Maybe then I'd be able to see something, but I was wrong, there was nothing to see except for the explosion of blood in a different colour to red. That's when I heard shifting behind me, Alec had stood up, I looked at him, "Now what?"

"First of all, I'm not emo, I just like their clothes and music. Second of all-" Oh, god. He took his shirt off – what a six pack to be built onto an 18 year old. "I'm not fat. I'm quite fit actually." He had a perfect tan – not that I was really looking that much. He put his shirt back on and I took a breath. And the point of that was what exactly? To make me give in to his every demand? Make me say that he's right, he's a genius? Fat chance.

"You didn't have to prove it." I told him,

"Well, you look like the person who needs to see it to believe it."

"That's disgusting!" I was so disgusted at what he was suggesting I ended up standing in a hysterical fit type of way.

"That's not what I meant."

"Then what do you mean?"

"Nothing. Absolutely nothing."

"Ugh. The world would be safer without the ignorance of such mindless men."

"Why are woman so formal?"

"Why are men such idiots?"

"It comes naturally."

"I find a few people annoying. You are all of them."

"You really don't like me, do you?"

"Don't like? No. I hate you."

"Hate is good. It's passionate."

"Look, you sound like a dim-witted parrot, so can I ignore you some other time?" I tried to turn back to sit down but he grabbed my shoulder and faced me back to him,

"Now, why are we so rude this evening?"

"I'm not rude. You're insignificant."

"Well that's nice to know."

"You know what, I shudder at the thought that you are capable of breeding. Thank goodness your personality acts as a birth control device."

"Why are you being such a bit-?"

"Because you're a jackass."

"Wretch,"

"Idiot."

"Witch."

"Look, just say what you mean – and then shut up!" I didn't know how that gave him the authority to throw his arms around my back and pull me towards him – but that wasn't the only surprise. He was a really good kisser. Now I understood, hate is passionate, because it's a step away from love. I put my arms around his neck, I let him hold on – I guess he was right, I didn't need to see him shirtless to know he had muscles. I could feel them. What was I thinking? This was very confusing. I hated him. Didn't I?

I could hear someone coming down the hallway and I pushed Alec away – the one time I didn't want him to go away.

"You're a real piece of work, you know that?" What was with his multi-personality disorder? I heard someone open the door and Alec winked at me, now I know what he was doing,

"Well, it beats making a total ass of myself every 2 seconds!"

"Whoa, guys. Keep it down." It was Angelo, I looked next to him, on the other side and waited for him to come closer before I was definitely sure of what I wasn't seeing,

"Uh, where's Eva?" I asked,

"She said she wanted me to come back and tell you to go to the Chairman's office as soon as Lucida gets out of detention, no sooner – because she wants both of you to be there."

"I don't get it."

"Me neither."

"I have to go to her now-"

"You can't. She was very insistent that you wait for Lucida." Now I was more pissed at her than at Alec on a general basis.

"That's nuts. What is she doing?!"

"I don't know. She didn't say much. You could see the light bulb in her head light up and then she ran off as if she were on fire." Interesting use of words.

"I guess I have to do as she says then. I hope she knows what she's doing – whatever it is."