Chapter 9: Hung Up

Start from the beginning

"Hello?" I answered. "Emma! What's up?" Marlee sounded very.. perky. "Nothing. What about you?" I asked. "Same. But I was in the area and wondering if you'd like to hang out. You know, have a girl's day. That sound fun? Unless you're busy with Louis, which is totally fine." she giggled at the end and for some reason, I felt butterflies in my stomach when she said his name. Or maybe I'm just hungry. "Uh, no, I'm not busy. But that sounds fun. Want to come by my place? It's right across from Louis'" I spoke in a happier tone, trying to hide how I was really feeling. "Alright, cool! Be there in twenty! Later!" she yelled before hanging up. I laughed, realizing how different I was from Marlee, but I still really liked her. Even after just meeting her, I knew she was a good person. Plus she's perfect for Niall.

I sat around and watched some television until my doorbell rang, signaling Marlee had arrived exactly on time. I opened the door and saw a very perky, dark haired girl smiling at me. Marlee is one of those people that can always brighten your day, which is what I need right now. However, she is not the best person to have around when you're suffering from a massive headache.

"Hi Emma! Ready to go?" she said quite loudly. I smiled and nodded, walking out the door behind her. We both got into her small blue BMW and she drove out onto the small highway that would lead us into town. "So, do you spend a lot of time in Doncaster? You seem to know the area well." I said as she parked in the small parking lot many people didn't know about. It was at the center of the town and was perfect for whatever you wanted to do. "One of my good friends used to live here. Before she married, I'd come down and we'd shop all the time. So I know my way around." she answered and I nodded.

We walked along the actually somewhat busy streets until she stopped in front of one of the smaller buildings. I looked up: Ava's Salon and Spa. "Marlee, what are we doing at a day spa?" I asked her as she reached for the door handle. "I figured we both deserved it. Niall told me a little bit about what's been going on between you and Louis. Now you have a chance to give me the full story. Come on, it'll be fun, I promise." she smiled, holding the door. I sighed and walked inside. Maybe I did need to relax. I had been worrying non-stop for days and it was getting a thousand times worse since "the kiss". Question was, would I tell Marlee about that?

We walked in and I elbowed Marlee in the side when she told me that she had already made a reservation so I couldn't refuse her gracious offer. One of the workers took us into a room and gave us robes to change into. I questioned it, but when Marlee started changing, I did too. Even if it was weird and extremely creepy. Back in the spa, the same worker took us to a back room where we would be spending most of the day. The first thing Marlee ordered was some herbal facemask, whatever that is. Two new workers came in and sat us down in two comfortable chairs. Minutes later, they were applying weird stuff to my face. "Marlee, this smells weird." I spoke, even if I could barely move my mouth. I heard her giggle. "Relax, Em. It's just a facial, it'll make you glow." Well I'm not really sure if I want to glow, but oooookaaay. It was really quiet and as we waited for the mask to finish, the workers massaged our feet and temples. That really did feel good.

"So, what is really going on with you and Louis?" Marlee asked. "Well as I'm sure you know, we are kind of at odds right now. I guess it's just because we've been apart for so long. But a week ago we got into a really nasty fight and he told me he didn't want anything to do with me. And that's basically it. I granted his wish, and I've left him alone. Well, up until yesterday, that is." I bit my lip.

"Ooh, what happened yesterday?" Marlee called. Why were we talking about this with other people in the room? I swear I have no privacy. "Well I was just um.." I tried to think of a quick lie so I wouldn't have to give her the real background story. "I was watching the girls, his sisters, and we were watching a movie. It was getting late so I put them to bed and I came back and, well, he kissed me." I said and sat waiting for Marlee's reaction. For a few moments, the room was silent. One of workers said we could take the masks off now so I reached over to my left and grabbed a towel. When I grabbed it, I looked up and saw Marlee sitting there with her mouth wide open. Literally, her jaw was hanging on the floor.