Chapter 14: An act of love

"Edith! You finally woke up!" I opened my eyes and saw Thomas standing above me. "What..." "You fainted." he explained. I got up and sat on a chair next to me. "Are you here all alone?" he asked me. "No, one of my maids came with me" I said. "What about the doctor? Didn't he come with you?" "We had an argumment just before the day we left America" "What happened?" "He...he proposed to me..." "And you said no?" "I could bot do otherwise. If I agreed to marry him it would be like betraying you and..." "No my dear, you shouldn't have done that." he interupted me. "Who will take care of you? I am afraid I can't help you..." "Thalia and old Billy will" "Edith, you need a doctor with you" "But I am sure..." "Please Edith, listen to me" He said "You have to sent a letter to Alan and tell him to come here. I can't risk losing you! Please do it for us and the baby!" he said and touched my tummy. I could feel his hand shaking. "Ok, I will" I said and looked him in the eyes. They were still as beautiful as they were when he was alive. "Good." he said. I knew he was trying to hold his tears back. "Look Edith, I have to go..." "I will never forget you..." I whispered. A tear fell on my cheek. "No, don't worry, this is not a goodbye." he explained to me. "I will always be here for you my love. Promise me you'll do exactly what I told you" "I promise" I said, trying to fake a smile. "I'll see you soon Edith" he said and dissappeared. The room was now empty and quiet.

I got down the stairs, thinking about what Thomas had told me. 'I have to do as he said' I thought. 'I have to protect our little baby...'