Chapter Thirty-Nine- Rock Climbings and Jealous Exes

Start from the beginning

"So," Sean looked like he was really trying hard to understand my situation. "You're telling me the guy who wanted to kill me at the hospital is now your ex who happened to own that mall. Carlos, Avery and David are all working for him."

I owed him an explanation for what happened earlier at the mall so I told him who exactly the three were plus who Mr. Madrid was. I didn't give him the specifics though. He might think I'm broken-hearted or something. Well, I still am but he didn't need to know that. "Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying."

"If you don't mind me asking, how long have you, uh, um,"

"Broken up?" I finished the question for him. "More than a month."

"Does he want you back?" I nodded. "Do you want him back?"

"It's complicated." was my cliche reply.

"Well, he can't have you back if you belonged to someone else, can he?"

"What are you trying to say?"

Sean stared at me with so much intensity I had to look away. "That I like you."

What?! Did he just say he likes me?

"Since I saw you again, I just felt it."

"Sean,"

"Oh shit. I'm sorry, Madi. I don't know what came to me. You must think I'm crazy. We're just talking about your ex and now I'm telling you I-. Please don't be mad at me." he rambled with his cheeks turning red. He was a big man blushing like a teenage boy as if his crush said hi to him for the first time. How can you be mad at that?

"Hey, relax. You're not crazy. I'm not mad. Just a bit shocked but not mad."

"Can we forget everything I said?"

"If that's what you want."

I was surprised how smoothly my conversations with Sean went despite his little confession earlier. We talked about a lot of things. Mainly about books and teaching. Talking to someone whom I had so much in common with felt good. We shared a lot of similar interests and perspectives in life. Surprisingly, even a personal experience. His mother who was a teacher too passed away when he was little. He saw how happy his mother was being an educator so he dreamt of being one too. He took responsibility of taking care of his four younger siblings after their mother's death. His father had to work abroad to support their family.

Somehow, I thought I was talking to a male version of myself. Well, a soft-hearted and charming version of me. And of course, subtract the I-have-an-amazing-father part.

Time flew too fast and soon the sun was beginning to set. We went back to the park and as we strolled, Sean invited me to dinner. I agreed with a quick yes. He has made me feel so much better and I enjoyed his company. I wasn't ready to end the night just yet.

We went to a vegetarian restaurant called Le Amira. It was just a ten-minute walk from the park. The relaxing ambiance was evident as soft classic music played in the background. Various paintings and random photographs consumed the walls. Handmade crafts served as table centerpieces. It was true what they say. Art was the food for the eyes. The artistic interior was enough to satiate my hunger.

"Sean!" a woman came running to our direction. She threw herself to Sean and embraced him. The man was taken aback and he almost lost his balance. "I missed you! Did you miss me too?"

I felt something strange inside me as I watched the woman cling over Sean in front of me. I found myself in an awkward position. Sean did too and he gently released himself from the woman.