Chapter Eight: Save Me - Part Two

"What?!"

"Its an avalanche," Jamaya said, exhaling greatly. She flopped down on the couch, "Thanks to you two, we're stranded in here with no electricity. Hope you're satisfied." She nonchalantly took out her phone, and scrolled away. "Well, we can get someone to call the main lobby to tell them we're trapped," Briana beamed. "I have no service," Kerry said, sagging her shoulders.

"Me, too."

"Same here."

"Yeah, me neither," said Jamaya, putting her phone away just as fast as she took it out. Briana turned to me. "Hey Amber, didn't you get one of those public service announcement text earlier? Do you still have service," Bri asked me, smiling. I appreciated her efforts to stay optimistic. "Well, I did. My phone is dead," I said. Everyone in the room groaned in annoyance. I frowned, "Chill out, guys. We're gonna get out of this situation," I said. "Yeah, well we wouldn't be in this situation if you weren't trying to bash my head into the wall," Kya retorted, rolling her eyes. I scrunched my eyebrows and turned to her, "Well maybe if you weren't being such a bit-"

Jamaya cut me off mid-sentence. "Oh my freaking goodness! Both of you are annoying the hell out of me. You're acting like some petty ass teenagers! Maybe if you'd stop fighting long enough, you'd realize that you're the reason we're stuck in here! Shut the fuck up!" Jamaya was rarely ever mad, so for her to go off like that really spoke volumes. I turned to her, "Don't pin this on me! Kya just came out of nowhere being rude when I did nothing to her!" Kya crossed her arms, "Trust me, I'm not being rude for no reason!" I faced Kya again and leaned my head to the side. "Oh, so there's a reason? Please, do tell! I'd love to hear this," I said, with intense sarcasm. "It's because of Prodigy," she said through her gritted teeth. I clenched my jaw and my fist, "Kya, I swear to God, if you say one thing about Prodigy not loving me anymore-" She cut me off, similar to how Jamaya did earlier. "See, that's just the thing," Kya said, with her words getting more intense with each passing moment, "I'm the one who Prodigy doesn't love anymore! And you want to know why?"

"Because he still fucking loves you!"

Kya's words had an echo. Not just because she yelled them at the top of her lungs, but because they were on replay in my mind. Was this the reason she hated me so much? Because of something I couldn't control?

The room was pin-drop silent, until I heard someone sniff. It was Kya. I looked over at her, and she was staring at the ground. Her hair fell in such a away that I couldn't see her face. But, telling by her body language, she looked genuinely hurt.

"Ever since we started dating, all he did was talk about you," Kya started, with her head hanging low. "'I wonder what Amber would think of this.' 'Maybe I should text Amber, it's been a while.' 'This necklace reminds me of Amber. Damn, I miss her.' Prodigy and I almost never had a real meaningful conversation because all he ever thought about was you! 'Amber this, Amber that.' Do you know what it's like to give your heart to someone, while they're heart is with someone else?"

I simply stared at Kya as she went silent. Her voice cracked on those last few words. She looked up at me for the first time; her eyes were near bloodshot, and tears of frustration and melancholy fell gracefully from her face. Never, in all my 22 years of life, have I ever felt so sorry for someone. She had fallen a victim to love.