Chapter 5: ***Try out for Cheerleading***

Chapter 5

I was really doing it.

Cheerleading tryouts.

The feeling of being in a parallel universe Aaron mentioned earlier? I could totally relate to it now.

There I was, surrounded by the girliest girls our school has to offer.

Cheerleader wannabes.

And it was not all the make up, the giggling, the squealing or the glittery tops that bothered me. Or the fact that I was the only one wearing sweatpants and a t-shirt, while the rest of them preferred clothing much more fitted and shorter. Even Emma was wearing shorts and a tanktop.

No, it was the estimated number of about 40 different perfumes, combined, making me a bit light-headed and craving fresh air.

Emma nudged me in the ribs. “Come on, cheer up, Sarah.”

“Ha. Ha.” Wait for it... "Ha."

We were all waiting outside the gym. Any moment now one of the cheerleaders should invite us all in, explain the tryouts and teach us a simple routine.

But no one came.

Another minute passed.

Nope, still waiting.

“Em, let’s sit down,” I whined, already sliding down the wall, tugging my friend’s black tanktop, trying to pull her down to the floor with me.

“What are you doing? You can’t sit down now!”

“Of course I can. See? Me, sitting.”

“That’s not the right spirit.”

“I think it is.”

“No, it’s not. It’s a sign of weakness. We haven’t even done anything yet.”

“Not my fault. I’ve been waiting here for ages.”

“Sarah – “ Emma started to argue again, but then stopped because the doors suddenly opened.

Mind you, not the doors we have been waiting for to open for the last twenty minutes or so.

Nope, the double doors at the end of the hallway. And guess who strolled in?

Yep, the football team. Most of them, anyway.

Some of the girls actually squealed with joy, staring at the approaching guys. Most likely daydreaming of becoming the girlfriend of one of them.

Who am I kidding? I bet most of them were daydreaming about Nick Evans, the star quarterback, right at that very moment.

Granted, he has a very toned body. Lots of muscles. Sandy blond hair. Tanned skin. White teeth. Stunning teeth. Pearly white. He perfected the all-American boy look, hands down.

But he also has been dating Summer Williams, second head cheerleader… vice cheerleader captain or however you call it, since the beginning of junior year. They make a very handsome couple and seem to be totally smitten with each other.

There is no chance in hell he would ditch her for anyone else. He is way too nice for that. At least, I assume he is. I mean, I kind of knew him in middle school, before he turned into Mr. Popular. Nick was a pretty decent boy back then.

Right on cue, our doors finally opened as well and out stepped the head cheerleaders Julie and Summer. Just in time to meet the guys.

Did they practice this little routine before?

Nick greeted the two girls, and the football team came to a halt. The guys were all looking in our direction, obviously checking us girls out, their potential future cheerleaders. Is it just curiosity? Or are they staking their claims afterwards?