Responsibility (Natsu Dragneel)

((A/N: Requested by @Rachel_Oshiro Enjoy!))

This was the end of your freedom and happiness. Your story was coming to an end. To everyone else, you were just a chapter to their stories.

Today, you were ready to take the responsibility of being the head of a high class family who resides in the capital of Fiore. There was no other choice as you were the only living heir.

You were originally a runaway who wanted to make mistakes through choices. An adventure outside your cage was what you craved. In that adventure, you joined Fairy Tail.

Fairy Tail gave you freedom and happiness. The members of the guild became your second family except they allow you to make mistakes. One person proved that to you.

He was a strong mage, Dragon Slayer, but a big goofball and reckless. He reminded you of the early days of spring, warm, but with some coolness. His hair shined a darkened light pink that always caught your attention in a large crowd.

Natsu Dragneel was constantly in your story.

Sometimes he would be the main subject of the chapter or making a small cameo here and there. You didn't care though. His presence was enjoyable.

Your fondness for him blossomed into love, but remained one-sided. It remained that way because you didn't want to ruin the happiness then and it would have hurt more now than ever.

"____! You're not leaving really, are you?"

He didn't want to believe it and neither did you. You wanted to stay, but you learned from everyone that you shouldn't run from responsibility. It was fine before as you were second born, but your older sibling fell ill and couldn't manage the family affairs.

You couldn't turn around to face him as the train started to move.

"I had a great time here, Natsu, really. My story as a free, happy person ends here. Thank you for making it so memorable. I'll never forget any of you."

The motion of the train pulled you away from your first love and where your second family lived. Your adventure began to vanish into the distance as you closed the book.

~~~

"Miss, the King has sent a letter of having the family as their guests at the princess's birthday dinner."

"If he has requested it, then we shall go. Go give news to the others. I must finish reading these documents."

The man bowed and walked out quietly.

Your eyes closed. Life seemed nothing, but paperwork and appearances in the royal court. How did your parents even tolerate this? This was why you ran away, but only you could fill the shoes after your brother passed away last month from his illness. It rotted his insides slowly giving him pain, but he left with a smile.

"I know you will make the right choice for this family, ___."

His last words to you haunted you these past few weeks. The family was falling apart and no one really listened to you because you had run away prior to your brother's death. Everyone loved your brother.

Hell, you loved your brother just as anyone else would!

He was kind, level-headed, and open minded. Your brother was meant to be the head of the family. If that terminal illness hadn't attacked his body, he would be leading this family and you would be still adding new pages to your adventure of freedom and happiness.

Maybe you would have gotten the courage to confess your feelings to him.

~~~

Standing on the balcony away from the dinner party, you looked at the moon. The king brought up how thankful he was to Fairy Tail for saving the country from demons. It brought back painful memories.