Chapter 19: Backfire

A/N: The picture is of the man playing Alejandro.

Toni's P.O.V.

"I will need time to come to a decision," the judge nodded. 

Jandro and I exchanged looks before the judge dismissed the session. He followed me outside and I half expected a fight. 

I leaned on the wall and took a deep breath, "Been going at it for two months just to put me behind bars, yeah?" 

"You went to further extents to see my swim in shit," I shrugged.

He exhaled, "If he finds me guilty, which is more likely, honestly, I just wanted to let you know that I regret what I did, and it's not because I'm about be thrown in a uniform behind bars and after leaving I'm going to have absolutely no career. Anyway, I'd rather admit my apologies now than have myself lose it behind those bars." He paused. "I still mean my apology if I'm ruled innocent. I'm going to give you an oath that I'll get off of your back and everyone that means something to you."

I nodded, "Alright, Jandro. Best of luck." 

We left in separate ways and I headed off to grab lunch. 

I saw Valentina sit somewhere nearby. She was fiddling with her phone. I was thinking of what we could've been, of what we could've prevented. Perhaps it was just a sign, all of it; the tough attitude, the affair, the miscarriage. 

Smiling to myself in pity, I looked up at the sky. Boy how I was wrong when I thought Spain would be a fresh start for me.

After heading for a long, thoughtful walk, I looked down at my phone and realized I had just about enough time to return to the court.

To my luck, I entered just as it started. I was day dreaming for a short period of time before there was dead silence.

" Alejandro Rivera has been ruled to be innocent," he slammed his gavel and I shut my eyes.

Valentina looked at me with tears in her eyes. 

Alejandro got up with a weak smile and approached us both, "You did this on purpose, didn't you?"

The blue-eyed girl looked at us both with utter confusion, "Did what?" 

"You put in a word for the judge, didn't you?"  I looked away from them both, "I saw his face before the break and I knew I was going behind bars. I'm a lawyer, I know that look often too well."

Her jaw dropped, "You did what?" 

I studied them both, "His whole life was going to waste because of his bitter hostility. I know this taught him a valuable lesson and he knows better than to mess with me or anyone next time." 

He nodded, but Valentina spoke, "I cannot believe how inconsiderate you are."

"No, Valentina, you're the fucking inconsiderate one here," Alejandro replied. "This guy did wonders for you, and he still was until the last second. If it weren't for him, you'd still be thinking you commit a crime. Sure, I was eventually going to back off, but he saved your ass." 

She raised her eyebrows, "You really let him go on the loose like that?"

"He has a fucking son he needs to be with."

They both looked up at me with surprise before a smile played on Jandro's lips. "Fuck, you're better than I thought."

I smiled, "One more thing; nice try on attempting to get me believing that fetus was really mine. I know it was Jandro's." 

They exchanged looks and apologized to me over and over again.