Chapter 18: Go

Toni's P.O.V.

"You have no proof he deleted this information then blackmailed my client here with it, I don't want to bet on a weak case," the lawyer took his glasses off and rubbed his eyes.

I smiled to myself as I pulled a stack of papers, "You think I would, senor Jose?"

He took them and flipped through them before nodding approvingly, "I'm actually impressed,"

"I'm really proud of him," Valentina commented.

I brushed off her remark and continued discussing the case with the lawyer.

Around an hour later he said his final opinion, "This case can be a winner, and a really big one. But what is it that you want?"

"I want him behind bars." Valentina was the one to speak.

He nodded, "Behind bars it is. I'm going to call the police tomorrow morning and we'll have him arrested." He smiled, packed his papers and got up.

Once he was out the door, she turned to me and wrapped her arms around me. "What are you doing?"I muttered.

"I'm really sorry, Toni." She said into my shirt.

I looked down at her, "Your apology is taken into consideration, but you dare not think that we're ever going back to how things were,"

"I deserve it, I know, but getting one last chance would mean the world to me," she looked up.

I caressed her cheekbone before kissing her forehead, "You had my trust. It's hardly ever coming back, and just like I have to deal with the humiliation I was put through for you that came along with all the chances I gave you, you're going to have to deal with me saying no to you." 

***

"I need a lawyer," he demanded.

The officer summoned in a man in his mid thirties, "This is William and he's going to be your lawyer then," 

"Fucking uncuff me," he spat.

"This obscene language will only get you into deeper trouble," his lawyer muttered.

I smiled to myself before turning around, "This doesn't end here, Kroos,"

"Yeah, you're right, it doesn't. It ends in court." I winked. "See you then,"

I headed out to my car and drove to the same diner I visited when I first arrived and found Nicole sitting on a table on her own. 

"Hey, is this seat taken?" 

Her blue eyes traveled to me, "Wha- no, not at all," she smiled. 

"This is a great coincidence," she nodded at my words. "I'm glad I ran into you. Eh, where do I start? I'm sorry I dragged you into my problems the other day with Valentina. You did what you did back at the hospital and fucked with me, but this whole thing has been a blur," 

She placed her hand on top of mine, "It's alright, I guess we're both slightly guilty," 

I squeezed her hand, "Listen, you're a great girl, but I'm not ready for any type of involvment with anyone at the moment, especially someone who has an insight on what happened."

A disappointed look crossed her face, "That's completely understandable, I wish you nothing but the best." 

I smiled at her before changing the topic and having our meals. Later that day, we went in separate ways and I ended up wasted.