21 | Confession

"Here," I said as I offered the second hot dog to Hayden Whitehall, who had been tuned out and focused on people watching while I was away.

"Oh," he stared at the giant hot dog as he turned back to reality, completely startled that I had shoved something right in front of his face.

"Best enjoyed if not squished and warm," I joked as I gently passed the hot dog to his left hand and sat back down next to him, "I didn't know what sauces you liked, so I got you the usual."

"Thanks, but you didn't have to get me anything," he said sincerely as he took a small bite into his food.

"You looked like you needed one," I smiled as I took a bite into my hot dog, "plus I'm not going to let you watch me eat, it's awkward.

"It's only awkward if you make it awkward," Hayden pointed out, but at this point, he was too focused on his hot dog to really pay his attention back at me.

Originally, I guess he and I both didn't want to admit that we were still a bit hungry after the fancy Mariné food we were given. The food was good, but the portion was so tiny that I'd be surprised anyone would get full from just feeding at that restaurant. But in the end, I gave into my hunger, it was too attention consuming for me to not notice that the little I had eaten at Mariné was never going to fulfill my inner fatass. I was still glad that at least Hayden conceded without a fight because I paid for his hot dog, and I've never seen him accepting other people's things for free until now.

"So," I said in between bites, occasionally looking in Hayden's direction to see how he was doing with his hot dog, "how are you liking the tour so far? Is it up to your expectations?"

"We're in the middle of Orion's downtown people watching, talking about some philosophical things, and we're eating warm comfort food. I'd say this is a great time and definitely lived to my expectations."

"How does it compare with Mariné?" I asked curiously, hoping he'd say something intelligent and flattering.

"It doesn't, Mariné and this is on different spectrums, but this hot dog is delicious in its own way, but shabby looking food stands like this always have the best food, don't they?"

"They really do," I laughed, "but I'm glad that you've had a hot dog before at least."

"Only once, I think," Hayden said as he looked up, probably trying to recall his last meal that involved any overly processed sausage filled with miscellaneous meats.

"I went to a summer fair when I was young, it was close to the family's beach house, so my nanny thought it would be fun to take me there since my parents were in the city. I didn't think much to it at the time, it was just something that was always readily available in a summer fair, that and burgers, and of course ice cream and funnel cakes."

"Sounded fun," I said.

Hayden stayed silent, perhaps it was a reminiscent memory best left unthought of for his own good. I didn't want to pursue any details, but from the summer house talk, it seemed like that the Whitehalls weren't too good at spending quality family time together. It was more than likely that he had spent entire summers in his beach house with his nanny when he was younger. Instead of his parents taking up the role of parenting, his nanny, presumably a great person, took it into her own hands to see to Hayden's happiness, even if it was only until he's grown enough to care for himself.

"Were you close to your nanny?" I finally blurted.

"When I was young I was very attached to her, but she's now retired and moved across the country," he explained, "but after the fair, I don't really recall eating any commoner food other than the occasional hungover pizza or something my friends order when we're out."

"What about fast food?" I inquired, "ever had burgers and fries at a fast-food chain?"

"I don't think so, why?" Hayden asked as he took the last few bites of his hot dog.

"Unbelievable," I sighed, "how do you even live?"

"It's the same thing to you not being used to food that's fancy and expensive, I don't eat fast food because I don't feel there's a need for it, so obviously I wouldn't know anything about it," he tried to explain.

"I get that, it's just our lives are so different, and I'm having a hard time trying to understand it all, but I digress."

"Well, that's kind of why we're here in the first place, no?" Hayden said rhetorically.

"Yeah, you're right. You asked me to show you how common people have fun, and I did, but I'm still not understanding how that proves why you chose to be my benefactor of sorts," I sighed again, slowly taking a bite of the hot dog I had been eating for a while now.

"You're not the sharpest tool in the shed are you?" Hayden laughed.

"Actually I am, otherwise I wouldn't have been admitted to our school. I'd just prefer it if people were more straightforward, that's all."

"Okay, I'll be blunt if you want me to," Hayden said, slightly hesitating at what he's about to say next. He was certainly intrigued and interested that I was so curious, but I wasn't going to hold back, I've asked him enough times today for him to actually owe me an answer.

"Out with it?" I said eagerly, "why a charity case like me?"

"I'm intrigued by you," Hayden admitted openly. "You aren't the same sort of person that most of my circle is comprised of, and that's a breath of fresh air."

"So I am a charity case after all because I'm different," I repeated, then biting into my hot dog.

"No," Hayden opposed, "I like you romantically. There's definitely some feelings I can't quite explain there, but like is a good word for now."

I jumped back a little in my seat, I was stunned and speechless at what he actually had to say. Before I could realize it, my left hand was already halfway to my heart, and I had accidentally twitched, causing me to drop the last bite of my hot dog onto the ground.

And another piece of food goes into the ground, wasted because I'm clumsy, I dreaded.

But that didn't encourage me to do anything but remain silent and still, I was sure that Hayden had already seen my shocked expression. In fact, he was staring right into my eyes, full of curiosity and intensiveness.

"W-what?" I finally said, completely flustered at the situation.

Hayden smiled, perhaps a little too deviously.

At the exact same time, my heart skipped a little, I wasn't sure why my heart betrayed me at the time, but it did.