11 | Newfound Friendships

I spent the rest of the late afternoon drowning in guilt and comforting my weeping sister that I wasn't, in fact, dead or missing. My lack of presence and care caused her to become so upset that she actually shed tears, something I haven't been able to witness for quite a long time. Scarlet slept soundly under my care that night, the baby fat on her face made her look adorable when napping.

I slowly crept out of the room after she had fallen sound asleep. Children do sleep earlier than adults after all, and I've still yet to update Theodore on yesterday's events. Pulling out of my phone, I texted him promptly.

"Are you still awake?" I texted.

"It's 8 PM, why wouldn't I be?" Replied Theo, he also attached a confused emoji, which made me smile.

"Are you free?"

"No, but I will be in two hours, why?"

"Just thought it would be better to update you on what happened and all that," I replied quickly.

"Sure, meet you at the usual place?" He asked with a coffee emoji. This man sure likes his emojis, I thought.

"If that you mean the cafeteria, then sure!"

"Okay, see you then."

Just as I finished reading his text message, I heard a gentle knock on my door. I slowly approached it and peered outside to see Geneva Hamilton standing in front of my unit, waving directly at me.

"I know you're in there," Geneva announced.

"Wow," I said as I opened the door, "I really didn't expect you to find where I live."

"I heard you quit your job," she said and invited herself into the apartment unit.

Geneva casually found a comfortable looking area and decided to sit on one of the couches. As she sank into the soft couch, she crossed her legs together and proceeded to look around the apartment.

"Well, come right in, Geneva," I replied and chuckled slightly, "but seriously, how did you know where I lived?"

"I snooped, or more like asked Robert for your apartment number."

"Fair enough," I responded, "I am glad that you are here, it's a pleasant surprise.

"Of course! I want to be here, being by myself in the residence is boring," Geneva smiled again and gestured me to sit next to her. I followed and sat beside her, but I was still curious about why she had even bothered to visit me.

"I didn't think you'd actually come and find me."

"Why not? We made a deal that you'd wear the stuff I make, quitting that janitor job doesn't change anything. I just came because you never came back and told me that you quit!" She explained.

"I'm sorry, I've been busy this entire day and honestly I totally forgot about it. Even quitting my job has been surreal, to be honest," I admitted.

"So, what happened?" Geneva pressed.

"You mean what happened today?"

"Rumours say you got into a fight with Hayden Whitehall, but others say you are officially dating each other. I'm not one to spread gossip and rumours, but I'd like to hear it from you," she asked.

"Wait, what? No!" I objected. "I did fight with Hayden but we made peace afterward. We're just friends now, and I also happen to work for him now which is why I quit my janitor job."

"You two looked quite chummy together this morning," Geneva said as she showed me a picture of Hayden and myself together this morning in the cafeteria enjoying our brunch. Someone had already decided to take pictures of us and post them on the school's social media gossip site.