Chapter 1

My black paws struck the earth beneath me as I let my inner beast take complete control of me. I had released the wolf side of my being and restrained the human side for the first time in months. My wolf loved it, and herself a little as well. My speed was unmatched by my fellow pack members who fell behind me and my grace was undeniable to anyone watching. My gorgeous black wolf was a symbol of power, pride, and feminine elegance that was unmatched in this world because I was the only one of my kind.

Werewolves have roamed the world for centuries, living among or isolated from humans. But our world is easily hidden when science contradicts our very existence. Our world, something of folklore, was no myth, merely well-disguised and highly unbelievable. So werewolves aren't truly all that rare. Or not as rare as some would like to believe.

So why am I one of a kind if I live in a world of witches and fairies- the wonderful and the weird?

Because I am a female alpha.

Alphas are meant to be males; it's simply the nature of things. They are tough, cold leaders with minds of strategy and bodies of steel. Since the first lycanthrope was created by the Moon Goddess alphas were these incredible beasts of battle and they were mated to compassionate, but hardy females who could assist with running a pack.

When I was born everyone thought it was a twisted joke. The first pup born to a power alpha and luna such as my parents should've been a boy. A healthy, intelligent boy. But I was not. I was born a delicate girl with large eyes and a bright smile from birth. As if that couldn't be odd enough in itself, when my parents attempted to conceive again my mother spontaneously became infertile. They were unable to create another pup who could potentially be male and snag the title given to the first born.

This deemed me the future leader of my pack. And the first female alpha on record.

"Alpha." A pack mate murmured to me softly. It was Greg that spoke, my second in command. He regarded me with a respectful, but wary gaze as he was in his human form and very vulnerable to my agile wolf. He was skinny and weak, even as a wolf, but it was his strong mind that made him an obvious choice for my pack.

I turned to face him slowly, showing him my wolf was in no violent frenzy as the other wolves whom I was running with began to stop beside me. They were all curious about why my second in command had halted our exercise in the middle of the woods.

But Greg paid them no attention. His icy blue eyes found mine and he announced, "Alpha Trenton from the Red Raven pack is here and he is requesting your presence." I couldn't tell anything by his tone, or maybe my own emotions simply drowned his out.

Alpha Trenton. He was the leader of a nearby pack. His pack was large, strong and well respected throughout the werewolf community. My heart automatically fluttered in my chest with hope and anticipation. This could be it. This could be my break.

I was too excited to even dismiss anyone. I bolted directly towards my private cottage, stumbling of fallen logs and roots like a clumsy mutt as I went. But I could hardly find it in myself to care. I needed to shift out of wolf form, presumably shower and somehow make myself look decent for this man.

This could be an outstanding opportunity. I had never met this man before but he could be the one. I prayed he was the one. He would save me from all of the ridiculing I was tormented with from other packs- and occasionally, even my own. And he would make my disappointed and disgusted parents content with the future of their pack for the first time since I was born. And, my god, he could be the man to subside my heat before it tore me apart.

I shifted into human form just outside from front door, hardly bothered by my nakedness. Even if bare skin wasn't a common occurrence within my community I wouldn't have cared. There was a chance to make my life and the state of my pack substantially better, and that chance was loitering around on my territory, waiting for me.

I darted around my home. First I showered and scrubbed my skin and hair until there were no scents of my run left on my skin, just the soft smell of lemon shampoo. Then I ripped through all of my drawers, desperate to find something appealing to wear. All of my clothing was functional; versatile.it could transfer from a training session to an emergency attack. But that meant that nearly all of my clothes were ugly.

Eventually I ended up having to slip on a hoodie and a pair of untorn jeans. They didn't scream classy, flirty or cute, but if he was the one it wouldn't matter. He wouldn't even be aware of the people around him, much less my clothing.

"Alpha." Greg called from the basement. He must've brought our guests here, to my home, to keep them off the territory and away from prying eyes. I could hear their quiet voice in the background and my stomach filled with butterflies.

I sucked in a deep breath to calm myself then opened my bedroom door.

"Yes Greg?" I asked as I descended the stairs.

But I wasn't paying attention to my second in command. The second the other men were in my sight I let my eyes rove all over them. They were all just as I had suspected. Just as I should've been. Tall, muscular, intimidating with cold eyes, unsmiling lips and scars.

I strained my nostrils as much as I could without being obvious. Wasn't I supposed to smell his scent by now? Wasn't it supposed to be driving me wild with lust and desire? Weren't my eyes just supposed to find his both that was made for me?

"Luna Vienna." A man said.

Judging by the power wafting out of his pores he was the alpha. He was alpha Trenton.

My body didn't quiver at the sound of my name on his lips. I wasn't intoxicated by some heavenly smell. I didn't feel like I was supposed to. Like I hoped I would.

Instead, I felt my lip curl up in disgust. If I was in wolf form I would've snarled at him. "It's Alpha Vienna." I corrected tightly. He would not disrespect me in my home, on my land.

But Alpha Trenton didn't seem to care. I could see the disappointment in his eyes. It was the same thing I felt in the pit of my stomach.

"I came here to make sure our treaty was still intact." He said.

We both knew he was lying. I had just turned eighteen; I had just come of age. My mate could take me now, my body was ready and my mate would finally sense it. Trenton was only here to see if I was his mate to claim, if my pack could not be melded with his pack and his territory could expand.

He wanted to be my mate like I wanted to be his, but for an entirely different reason. I could already sense it.