Chapter 17 - A Queen's Determination and a Servant's Worth

~~~ Queen Valerie

"Are you quite certain, Madam Pumberly, that you can have my order ready before the week is out?" Queen Valerie asked as she walked through the store with the owner.

"Yes, your Majesty." The seamstress answered.

"Excellent." She responded flatly when she sighted yet another Society Member trying to overhear their conversation. "My Steward informed me that the new fabric and ribbon samples have recently arrived."

Madam Pumberly eyed her carefully before shooing the on looker away. "That is correct Majesty." She courtly nodded.

Queen Valerie kept her composure. She hated pretending that the woman next to her wasn't a dear friend. It seemed ridiculous. Having known the woman for so long she wished that she could drop the absurd pretenses. Instead doing what she wished, Queen Valerie forced herself to remain cold as she said. "I shall see them before I return to the castle."

"Of course, your Majesty," Madam Pumberly properly responded, "please follow me."

The announcement she had made earlier that day in the town square was a general update on regulations, and policy, with the added notification of the Suitor Selection. She knew that most people had already heard about it from the gossip after the Ball, but conformation from a Royal was needed periodically to keep unwanted rumors from circulating.

She also used the announcement as a smokescreen for her daughter. She was initially a bit worried by Alexandria's request for another non-guarded visit to Town Central City. The Ball was only the other day, and many members of Society were still in town.

She might be recognized.

Also, Alexandria was scheduled to meet her first suitor later that afternoon. As a compromise, Queen Valerie allowed her daughter to visit until half past eleven. Then the two of them would return to the palace together.

Her daughter had readily agreed to the conditions, and her actions had made Queen Valerie suspicious.

She remembered how distracted Alexandria had been during the ball. The girl was constantly looking over her shoulder as if she expected to see someone. A knowing smile found its way to the Queen's face.

She wondered if she had been that transparent the first time she fell in love.

The sound of light laughter reached her ears.

She recognized that laugh.

Queen Valerie looked up from the ribbons and smiled at Willaminia. She hadn't realized how much she missed the sound of her daughter's laughter.

Madam Pumberly didn't return her smile. Instead, Willaminia looked pass her with a grim expression on her face.

Valerie glanced behind her noticed that Alexandria was looking at the finished suits, and talking with someone. She unable to see the young man's face but his appearance suggested that he was one of the workers.

The next moment the worker turned and the Queen was able to catch a glimpse of his features.

She glanced at Willaminia alarmed, but the woman had become immensely interested in her feet.

The Queen needed to get the woman's attention, but there were still too many listeners around them.

"Madam Pumberly, I quite adore this one." She stated picking a piece of ribbon at random. "How much do you have in stock?"

Willaminia looked confused by the question, but she soon noticed the look Valerie was giving her. She knew what the Queen was actually interested in, and it wasn't the ivory lace ribbon.