Chapter 14 - Vander Treyani

"I know you're here. We'll be here soon. You can't hide from Vision. We see everything," Reene Ardmare stated in a sing song voice and then disappeared.

"Rehnnyn!" I called.

"Hmm?" The wizard came walking through the door fiddling with his staff.

"Reene was here. He said he knows where we are. Then he just vanished," I told him, my eyes wide.

"Must've been the Hermesen spell. We better get out of here."

"So you'll come with me? The nymphs fear you, the centaurs respect you, and we need them for this to work."

"I'll come. Where else can I go? I might as well help a cause. Vision will be here by nightfall as those spells are a few hours faster than their senders," Rehnnyn hurriedly began to pack his things.

"Let's go," he said, putting his sword in his belt.

"Olipheyn, we're leaving. Shut down all security. They'll see your Trace and come after you if any fairy magic remains here. We're leaving. For good." Rehnnyn instructed the little fairy who sprayed the dust in my eyes. Olipheyn said something to Rehnnyn in Zenthil, the fairy language, and put what looked like a thimble on his left pinky.

"Fii•iidreij, Olipheyn. Drey•gánháshi adûn," Rehnnyn bid goodbye to Olipheyn in Zenthil and grabbed his sack of prized possessions and elven apples.

"Dragon boy! It's time. Fetch Elzar for me, would you?" I jumped to my feet and retrieved Elzar from the stables. Rehnnyn fastened our bags to his side and mounted him, instructing me to ride his spare horse, Phayden.

"Why can't I fly?" I asked.

"If I'm going to do this with you, Vision will be on my tail even more than ever. We have to protect each other. And you'll be spotted."

"Aren't I of more help as a dragon?"

"You're of a different mind set when you're a dragon. You're not you."

"Oh." I mounted Phayden and followed Rehnnyn off of the small mountain his tower was perched on.

"Quickly, boy, pick up the pace. We have to hit every territory from here to the first region, then double back and sneak into each of the regions."

"Why are you so eager about this all of a sudden?"

"Everything worth doing is worth doing well. We don't have a chance against Vision if we're even the slightest bit messy." Rehnnyn rode faster and I nodded at him although he couldn't see me. We rode into the deepest parts of the forest where we ended up in an area with a purplish tint.

"Boy, before we announce our presence you must agree to go along with everything I say. Understood?" Rehnnyn asked.

"Understood," I nodded and stopped Phayden a few feet behind Elzar and Rehnnyn.

"Queen Kallianassa! I have a proposal for you and your people," Rehnnyn announced.

"Who's the child?" An airy voice came from seemingly everywhere.

"This is my apprentice. He acts as a servant and I train him," Rehnnyn lied.

"I sense an inhumanly force coming from him. What is he?" The same regal voice asked.

"A changeling."

"Human dragon?"

"Yes."

"Now what was that proposal you began to discuss?" A slender, graceful, beautiful, seven foot tall nymph who I assumed was Queen Kallianassa emerged from the shadows.

"The power of Vision is increasing. They are becoming reckless and the world has become a terrible place due to them. We need your help to assist us in defeating them."

"Why should we care about your silly human issues?" The queen of the nymphs asked.

"This is not just an issue of men. Vision has kept you confined here. They have enslaved the entire ogre race. They are torturing all creatures left and right and nymphs are among the ones who are being severely mistreated." Rehnnyn wasn't exaggerating.

"I've never heard of any mistreatment of the nymphs."

"That's because those who are captured by Vision don't return. They are slowly tortured until they are but a shell of their former self or die."

"What will we get out of helping you?" Queen Kallianassa contemplated what Rehnnyn was saying.

"A free country. A position in government. And by the time this war is over, we'd be willing to give any supporters whatever treasure they desire." Rehnnyn worked with the nymphs' greatest weakness: greed.

"I'll join the Resistance."

"Perfect."

"But I have one condition," Kallianassa cocked her head. "My desired treasure is Vision's Eye." I could see Rehnnyn was considering all possible outcomes of this.

"Deal. Meet us at Myronaeon in a fortnight," Rehnnyn said. "Come, boy," he ordered, waving his hand at me. "We have some centaurs to meet." Rehnnyn kicked Elzar's side and I followed him out of the nymph territory.

"What's Vision's Eye?" I asked Rehnnyn once we were out of earshot.

"It's an enormous crystal ball that Vision uses to spy on people. Most places in Celienth are out of their reach, though, so it's a perfect place to gather rebels. Vision can only see within the regions." He explained.

"Oh. What's Myronaeon?" I asked again.

"It's an enormous fortress, hidden from Vision's view, in between the sixth and seventh regions. Now hurry, the centaurs are very arrogant creatures. They don't take too well to visitors coming after dusk."

We arrived at a thickly wooded area around a lake just as the sun was setting. I began to hop off my horse, though Rehnnyn stopped me quickly.

He explained, "Centaurs take humans on horses as a compliment. They think we're imitating them and take that as an act of flattery. We need them in their best mood for this to work."

"Rehnnyn Taeralen! What business do you have here?" A deep voice boomed and a tall, muscular figure came out from a wooden tent-like structure.

"King Eribran! My humble apprentice and I are here today to request your dedicated and courageous service in battle against the tyrannical forces of Vision. If you and your clever people help us, the centaurs will forever be known as the most powerful and magnificent species of Whitewood!" Rehnnyn used a different approach this time, playing to the centaurs' need for compliments and praise.

"Interesting. How do I know this isn't a scam?" King Eribran asked.

"I will swear an oath to your magnificence, King," Rehnnyn bowed.

"That will not be necessary. I see you are a respectable man with a good sense for what's right and who's superior. I do feel that it's necessary to send along my greatest warrior and scout with you."

"I don't see how that could be an issue, sir," Rehnnyn nodded.

"Arezark! Fetch your bow and sword. You're leaving for justice!" The king announced.

"Thank you again for your assistance. Your help with strengthen our forces more than anyone could. Please meet us at Myronaeon in a fortnight." Rehnnyn bowed again and I did the same. I kicked Phayden lightly and followed Rehnnyn out of the centaurs' territory with Arezark at our side.

Rehnnyn smiled at the centaur, "I'm so happy to have you join us, noble Arezark." I was confused for a moment at why the wizard was still giving out compliments, though I soon realized that if Arezark for even a second questioned our character, the centaurs would be out of the deal. That's why Eribran sent him with us. To make sure we were honorable people to follow in war.

The last of the sun disappeared in the sky as Arezark, Rehnnyn, and I set up camp next to a small stream.

Rehnnyn grinned, "Well I'd say today was quite successful, dragon boy. Arezark, thanks to you and your honorable people, we might just survive this fight."