Chapter 13 - Jay Nex

The image above, Nicholas Hoult, is what I imagined Clarence to look like.

After an eternity, my eyes forced themselves open and my body forced myself up. The abnormal brightness of the sun and the odd volume of birds' songs didn't even cross my mind, or the fact that I was hundreds of feet up in a tree. I was too caught up with who was sitting across from me.

"Clarence!" I yelled, rushing as quickly as I could to his branch without falling. Somehow, when I slipped, there was a branch below me covered in leaves to break my fall.

"I thought you died! I talked to you, you said you were dead!" I exclaimed, hugging him so tightly that the string of his bow made marks in my arms.

"I did. You talked to me?" he commented and I loosened my grip on him slightly.

"Yes. But -"

"It's okay, Jaydove, you'll learn everything in good time."

Confused at him comment, I shrugged it aside and asked, "Where have you been?"

"Here, there, everywhere." Okay, so that wasn't a bit odd at all.

"Where are we?"

"Where does it look like? The forests of Celienth, of course."

"But the last thing I remember was fighting in the third region."

"Me too, Jaydove."

"Huh?" That's when I realized that there wasn't a single injury in sight. The last thing I remembered, I was covered in bruises, had a sprained ankle, and my body was covered in gashes. Now look at me!

Was it because of my elven magic, maybe? But that didn't help me before.

Was I visited by a light nymph, maybe? But they take time to do their work, and there would be evidence of their presence.

Was it Clarence, maybe? But he was never a good healer, and I still didn't understand his presence.

"Where's Vander?" I asked, suddenly switching thoughts to the boy who abandoned me. I knew I shouldn't be thinking of him like that, and I really did miss him, but I still couldn't get over the fact that he didn't help me.

"He hasn't joined us here yet, but he will soon enough."

"But Vander's always in the forest. And why are you answering my questions with such vague responses?" I frustratedly asked. This wasn't like him at all!

"There is no need for answers here." When Clarence's lips closed, a gust of wind shook our tree and fell over me like a reassuring wave of calmness and happiness.

"I'm so happy you're here," I said in a daze.

"I know. I missed you too." He hugged me.

"I'm so happy," I repeated.

"Me too." He squeezed my hand and grinned.