Chapter 12 - Girlfriend

It had been two weeks since Blake left. And I have to admit, I missed him. But during Blake’s time away, Andrew and I spent loads of time together. We went rock climbing, to the aquarium, to a Beyoncé concert, to the movies and spent a lot of time at my place, if you know what I mean. We even went on a double date with Kylie and Matthew. Everything was right and how is should be. But Blake returning could ruin everything. I still hadn’t figured out how I felt about him. When he returned, I didn’t know how, but I needed to deal with the Blake “issue”.

It was the night of Blake’s arrival. His team was having a team dinner so he said that he would see me the next day. Andrew and I planned on watching a movie and ordering Chinese food at my place. Kylie took a later shift at work so she would be home late.

As I pick out a horror movie for us to watch “The Women In Black”, I here my house phone ring.

“Hello?”

“Hi baby” I hear Andrew say to me.

“Are you on your way?”

“No, I’m not.”

“What? Why not?”

“Some paper work was screwed up and guess who was called in to sort it out.”

“Oh no.” I say sounding disappointed.

“I know. But now I’m suck at my office all night.”

“Babe,” I whine. “All night? Is there anyway you could maybe finish early?”

“I don’t this so. I have a lot of work to do.”

“What if I helped you? I mean, how hard could is really be?”

“Mel, I love you but I should just finish on my own. I’m sorry.”

“Me too.”

“I’ll see you tomorrow, ok?”

“Yeah. Ok, bye.”

“I love you.”

“Love you too.”

This sucked. I had everything ready and would have to spend my night alone. I sat on my sofa and sighed heavily before hearing a knock at the door. I raise my eyebrows wondering who it could be. Everyone was out doing something with their lives as I sat home alone. I got up to see who it was.

“Who is it?” I say reaching the door. The person was covering the peephole, so I couldn’t see their face.

“Who do you think it is?” I heard from the other side of the door. But by the comment, I knew who exactly who it was.

I open the door to see Blake standing there. He moved his hand from the peephole and placed them in his pockets.

“Hi Blake” I say resting my head on the door.

“Hi Melanie.”

“What are you doing here?”

“Uh, can I come in?” he says motioning his head inside.

“Um, sure.” I say wondering why he didn’t answer my question. “So are you gonna answer my question?” I ask shutting the door behind him.

“And what was that?” He picks up a soda and opens it. But before he drinks it I take it out of his hand. I repeat myself “what are you doing here?”

“Oh. I have to tell you something.” He said, gaining seriousness in his voice.

I begin to get nervous. “What was he going to say? Did he have feelings for me? Would he hurry up and spit it out?” Were some things running through my mind. I feel myself to get hot and my under arms get sweaty. Gross. I hope he doesn’t realize.

“What is it?” I ask sounding concern. It was all I managed to say.

“I wanted to tell you before heard it from someone else.”

“Heard it from someone else? Someone like who?”

“Like the media.”

“The media? Blake, what is it? Just spit it out, you’re scaring me.”

He clears his throat and exhales before speaking. “I have a girlfriend.”

The words bursted through his lips and as much I didn’t want to hear them, they slipped into my eardrums. My stomach drops and I feel the soda can slowly glide its way out of my hand. I stare blankly at Blake as I stand in the same position, not moving. I don’t know what to do or say, or how to feel. I feel goose bumps as I feel the air in the room suddenly lose temperature. I don’t know why I was so torn up about the news I just heard, but I was. It hurt knowing Blake could have romantic feelings for someone else. Pulling myself together, I inhale and exhale and let out the only word I could…

“Girlfriend?”