Chapter 24: Preparing For a Monster Mash

Start from the beginning

“What are you talking about, there’s no wrong way to do this!” I whined, and tried to attach the orange and black twisted streamer.

This is not an etiquette class!

Finally I got the tape in the right spot, and stumbled off of the chair. I clapped my hands, and faced Miss C, with her pastel orange dress, and her grey hair up in a bun. “Is that it? Am I finally done?” I asked, really wanting her to say yes.

“Natalie, darling,” she moved closer to me, and grabbed my hand. Her light blue eyes widened, and she took a step away from me, and stared at me. I made a face, and she shook herself from a trance, “Of course not! I just needed you to fix the streamers! I don’t like the way the decorators placed them.”

“Oh, wonderful,” I huffed, and sat at one of the round tables in the room.

The huge dining table is gone, and a few circular tables are in the front of the room. Streamers and balloons line the room, and hang off the giant chandler in the middle of the room. There is a huge area for what I assume is for dancing, and a giant stereo system in front. A few tables line the walls of the room, probably for food and snacks, and a small empty fountain sits on the top of each one.

Chocolate fountain….?

Miss C snapped her fingers in my face, “Natalie, did you hear anything I just said?” She asked, placing her hands delicately in her lap. She’s now sitting at the table next to me.

“Sorry, I was daydreaming.”

She tsked, and stood up. “Lesson number one, you are not the Hunchback of Notre Dame! Sit up straight!” She hollered, and whacked my back with the ruler.

“Ow! What the fu—“

“--Lesson number two, absolutely no foul language!” She wacked my hands off the table, “ lesson number tree, hands off the table.” She pulled my hair up by the pony tail, “sit up straighter, like I am always pulling on your pony tail.”

I sat up as straight as I could, with my arms at my sides.

I’ll kill this old coot.

She sat back down, and brought her head up, looking down at me. “Now my dear, time for some common conversations,” she started in a friendly tone, “Hello, my name is Abigail, what is your name?”

“My name is Cass—uhh I mean Natalie.”

“Wrong, wrong, wrong! Young ladies do not say ‘uhhh’!” She exclaimed, her face turning slightly red.

Jesus, if you are listening. Which you haven’t for the last…how long have I been here? Anyways, please get me the hell out of here. Not sure if I’m even allowed to say ‘hell’ in a prayer to you … that would explain you’re lack of response to my last one.

“Natalie, I am speaking to you,” Miss C snapped. I looked over to her, blinking out of my trance.

I turned to her smiling sweetly, “So sorry for my continuing disruptions Miss Cantacuzino, I am a bit tired. Shall we discuss a few more conversations? I very much enjoy this,” I said flawlessly, and robotically, “by the way, your dress is stunning!” I complimented, giving her hand a pat.

She raised an eyebrow, and her lips lifted into a smile. She started to clap elegantly, and then put my hands in hers.

“Natalie, darling, keep speaking like that, and we will surely find you a suitable buyer in the ceremony!”

***************************************************************************

I turned around in the mirror, looking at my butt.