35 Gents and Doughnuts

'Dirk and Killerman are on their way,' said Pawser putting down the receiver. 'You know I'm missing that new Bond movie, it's out today.'

'Like that'll make a difference.' said Olga staring fixedly at his day glo jacket.

'I'll ignore that.'

Olga sighed, 'So we are left waiting for Killerman and Dirk to get here in time before the staff come in.'

'Yes I'm afraid so.'

'It's worse than I thought then, let's try and get some sleep then.'

Pawser stepped a bit closer to Olga and let the jacket slip casually to the ground, 'I was hoping.'

'In your dreams.' snapped Olga and strode into the little office slamming the door behind her.

Left in the dark Pawser pulled the jacket back on, curled into a ball on the lino floor behind the desk and drifted into a fitful sleep to be woken by a tapping on the glass door. Killerman and Maine were standing there. Dirk, was waving a black dustbin liner. Pawser jumped up and let them in.

'Nice jacket Pawser, couldn't afford the whole suit?'

'Up yours Dirk. Did you get our clothes from Berty's office?'

'We did. Maximus's office looked like I'd walked in late to Caligula's pre dinner drinks. Garments a-plenty spread all over the floor, glass table and hanging off Berty's chandelier was a pair of......'

'I get the picture Dirk, I was there remember? Just give us what you picked up. You did clear it all up, didn't you?'

'Sure did, even wiped the evidence off the glass. You dog, you. Where's Olga?' Grinned Dirk.

'In the back office.'

'Shall I nip in and debrief her for you?'

'Our clothes,' Pawser demanded, holding out his hand.

Dirk threw him the black sack. 'You're lucky I'm not the only one with one of these.' He held up a plastic access card. 'It's six am so hardly anyone's in, Killerman and I managed to dodge in and lift all your gear. Don't forget there's a debrief with Berty at nine am. We're off downstairs while no one's around. Give our love to Olga when you see her.'

'Just to let you know I don't approve old man.' Killerman scowled as he followed Dirk through to the stairs.

Pawser climbed into his trousers. 'Yeah, well thanks for that, Killerman.'

He opened the door a crack. Olga stood, hands across her chest, immobile, glaring at him. He figured she probably been standing like that all night. 'Here's your stuff, Olga. I'm going down to the office to pick up some of my gear, while it's quiet. See you up in Sir Berty's office later.'

Leaving just enough time for the deathly silence to curdle the air, Pawser exited from the back of the Admiralty quicker than a greased pig at a redneck barbeque. It appeared rather pointless to try to strike up a conversation with the brusque Bavarian now that his blotter had been well and truly blotted. While the building was fairly empty it seemed like a good opportunity to nip down and retrieve the few bits and bobs he'd left behind when he'd been so rudely ejected from the premises following his cursory interview with the old goat, Jocko McBride.

He flitted through the back of main reception and crept down the basement stairs, making sure the coast was clear of any itinerant staff foolish enough to be in at this unearthly hour. Walking swiftly along the corridor, he paused a few times to make sure no one was around. Reassured by the lack of noise he slipped into his office, gently pushing the door to behind him. Dropping into his chair he rummaged through his drawers for his wallet when a dull bang echoed through the room.