5 Trapped Fingers

Unexpectedly the Lovelots impasse was broken by dull crashing from somewhere in the building. The sound of raised voices drifted down from above them.

'Never mind. I think they've found him upstairs. Come with us Lovelots. Killerman put those clippers away,' ordered a relieved Pawser heading for the front door.

As they walked into the garden the front door of the next house flew open with a crash and three men staggered out. Despite his hands being handcuffed behind his back, the bald, heavily built, barrel chested, donkey jacketed Freddy had decided that coming quietly was not an option. The two S5 men struggled to keep him under control as the three of them crashed into the fence and fell over into the garden.

Seeing Freddy up close Pawser was glad he'd not encountered him in the house. Freddy probably wouldn't have succumbed to his poodling plan however adeptly it was applied.

Pawser looked at Killerman, then at Lovelots and turned to read the little plaque on the wall on the house they had just left. 'Lovelots Poodle Parlour' it read.

'Shit Killerman. We've got the wrong bloody house!'

'Bollocks!' said Killerman turning angrily to Lovelots,' You! Why didn't you say anything?'

'You were shooting at me .You didn't give me a chance. It's the extension. It's 2A. I let it out to Freddy,' blurted Lovelots alarmed that his ear might be in for further retribution.

Killerman thought for a moment, weighed up Lovelots arguments and then rolled his eyes in tactic acceptance of Lovelots excuses.

Lovelots looked at Mr Pooky. Mr Pooky looked at Lovelots. They both looked relieved.

Returning from their grand tour of the garden the two S5 men managed to grapple Freddy to his knees and pushed him against the fence.

Face forced up against the low garden fence Freddy stared at them, 'Oh hello Derrick how's it going?' Then catching Killerman's eye,' Oh Mr Killerman long time no see. I thought you'd left the service?'

'No. Still around Freddy. How's tricks?' engaged Killerman.

'Hold on', said Freddy and with an enormous effort lifted himself off the fence, the detectives with him and for a few moments they staggered around the garden before they wrestled him back to the fence.

Having arrived back, Freddy, his face, one again, crushed up against the fence, grunted. 'What happened to Mr Pooky Derrick?'

'He shot him,' whinged Derrick nodding in Killerman's direction.

'He does that. It's nothing personal is it Mr Killerman. How's Detective Sergeant Insole?'

'He took early retirement Freddy, his wife was poorly.'

'Crickey, you didn't shoot her as well did you?'

Killerman put his hands in his pockets and said nothing.

'Well much as I hate to break up this old girls school reunion,' one of the S5 men jibed, whilst attempting to subdue Freddy. 'I must say it's bad luck boys. Looks like you've entered the wrong house. I hope you've got a warrant,' he winked. 'You should see our place. Stacked with printing gear, wads of cash, vouchers. More goodies than King Minas ever had. Too bad you've missed out.'

'Midas you moron,' corrected Pawser absentmindedly.

'Whatever.'

Pawser couldn't believe his luck. First Dirk, having identified this gold mine had, in a rare moment of fallibility passed them the wrong address. Then Killerman in typical gung ho style had gone off on a wild poodle shoot leaving Pawser with the possibility of having to explain to Jocko, his boss, exactly what had happened before no doubt receiving his dismissal in return. Worse still this had left two dozy kids from Special Branch with more booty than a thirty piece all girl Rhythm and Blues band.