Chapter Ten: Something New

After everything that happened, nothing could have gotten worse. The whole accident after going to the park was one thing. But after discovering that she'd made herself a new friend with a being that was bent on destroying her, she felt that her life would go uphill instead of plummeting down.

Or at least, that was what she had hoped.

"What the hell is this?" Malcolm asked from Lynette's door frame.

He pulled up a bag, which were filled to the brim by razors. And not the kind you use to shave.

Sitting up on Lynette's bed excitedly, Ben grinned and hummed a tune similar to that of Saria's Song, and Lynette hid back the urge to roll her eyes. Again, she had never seen the bag in her life before now. But of course, Lynette knew that her brother would not believe her if she said so. Lynette didn't need to get her hopes up at all. She knew Malcolm wouldn't trust her after that pill fiasco. 

Great, Lynette thought with a scowl.

She quickly came up with a lie, the words coming straight out of her ass. "Those are for my water colors," Lynette blurted out.

Malcolm quirked up a brow in surprise and Ben chuckled in the background.

"W-What..?"

Lynette cleared my throat and roamed her  eyes around her room to find the watercolor kit. It had been a while since she had made the bloody mural on the wall, which scared the crap out of her dad, but she used the rest of the paint to cover up the blood with roses and vines. Ben highly disapproved, saying that it was a beautiful arrangement before she ruined it with 'the pretty flowers'. But of course, Lynette didn't listen to him. It still didn't stop him from tsk'ing every time he saw it though.

"I-It's to scratch off the paint to make designs on the leaves. I was going to try it out in a few days, to see if it would work," She continued.

Her brother dropped his hand limply to his side, his anger from before extinguishing like fire. If Lynette had the heart to feel anything, she would have told him the truth as soon as she saw the guilt flash through his eyes. But she didn't.

"O-Oh," Malcolm uttered. He flashed a sad smile and scratched the back of his neck. "S-Sorry... I-I just assumed that you-"

"It's okay," Lynette interrupted, smiling. " I would have done the same if I were you."

Another lie.

Malcolm shifted the weight from one leg to another, still holding his apologetic grin.

"Thanks..." His eyes landed on her mural. "A-And again, sorry."

As soon as he uttered those words, Malcolm tossed the baggie on her drawer with a clatter and disappeared behind the door.

"Rest up, sis," said her brother.

Only when he was at least an earshot away did she turn around to give the dumb elf on her bed a glare.

Typing away at his computer, Ben smirked, his black eyes reflecting the brightness of the computer with his fingers clicking against the keyboard.

The smug little bastard...

For a week now, this was all he'd been doing. He played on her computer during the day, and at night, he probably wracked more plans on how to ruin Lynette's life. Though he said that he wasn't going to kill her, not embarrassing her seemed out of the question. To Lynette, it was like his only way of showing their 'friendship'. As twisted as it was...

But despite all that, she realized something about herself after befriending him. It was a small smidgen that shocked and awed her whenever she thought about it and every time she thought about it, she cringed.