Chapter 36: Focus on the Target

We continued on through the forest. There seemed to be a path that Robin was following, but it wasn't very well worn and so far we had arrived nowhere.

"Does this lead somewhere, or are you trying to get us lost?" I asked impatiently.

"It's not too much further." He said, checking the path again and continuing on without hesitation, leaving me without a hint of where he might be taking us.

I sighed and combed a hand through my hair. It had now air dried and wild waves had overtaken the straight, silky texture that being fully saturated with water gave it. I considered putting it up, but didn't want to make us stop, so it remained loose.

After another mile or so had passed, I was very grateful of what I'd chosen to wear. I brushed a lone spider off of my sleeve, wondering how much farther, but not daring to ask again. I took out the apple I had pocketed ages ago, and took a bite. The sweet, crisp taste filled my mouth as Robin looked over.

"You don't happen to have another one of those do you?" He asked hopefully.

I shook my head and took another bite, not even glancing his way. A second later, I could still feel his gaze on me, and I glanced at him. "I suppose I can share." I sighed, holding out the apple.

He took a bite from the opposite side and handed it back appreciatively.

Ten minutes later, the apple was long gone, and we still hadn't reached the destination Robin was seeking. I threw the flimsy core into the side brush and looked back up. In the second I had been looking away, the scenery had changed completely. No longer were we on an overgrown trail, but we had stepped into a long, open stretch of short grass.

At the far end of the stretch, a line of trees stood tall, hung with wooden targets to the point where each branch bowed slightly. Along with the targets, a large assortment of WANTED posters were nailed to the trees, laden with arrows. I made an amused face. What are the posters about? At my end of the stretch, there was a large, wooden bin, full of hundreds of arrows, their feathered fletches fluttering in the slight breeze.

"This is where I've practiced shooting with my Merry Men." He told me, taking off his bow.

I forced a smile, but I was quite unsure why he'd brought me here. "It's really nice, but what are we doing here?" I questioned him.

He smiled. "I got this for you." He told me, handing me the smooth, wooden bow he'd been holding. Only then did I realize it was different from the one he usually carried. This bow was smoother and made up of a darker, cherry-brown wood. It was carved into with smooth strokes, and on the inside of the hold, I found my name was carved into the surface using a perfectly formed script. I wasn't sure when I would ever use it, but it was a beautiful bow, and I knew Robin had put quite a bit of thought into it.

"It's beautiful." I said gratefully.

He looked relieved that I appreciated his gift. Picking up an arrow from the bin, he handed it to me.

"Go for it." He said, pointing toward the large, center target.

"Now?" I asked, giving him a short laugh of disbelief. "I've only done this once."

He shrugged. "Well you aren't going to get anywhere without practice, are you?"

I accepted that as enough reason for the moment.

My hands trembled slightly as I loaded the arrow. It took me several tries before I successfully put the split end to the bowstring.

I had done well when he had helped me, but maybe that was just beginner's luck. What if I couldn't do it well at all? I didn't want to disappoint Robin after he'd gone and gotten me my own bow. I didn't want to let him down, or embarrass myself in front of him by being a terrible archer.