Chapter 3: A Thief

I wasn't sure exactly why I'd been at the marketplace today, but for some reason I was. I'd picked a few pockets with no luck at finding much of value. A sudden hush ran over the crowd and everyone turned to the small wooden stage in the center of the market.
I looked up at the stage to see what was going on. Two of the queen's guards stood over a young lady with an ax. She was being forced roughly down onto her knees and her head was pressed into the wooden block. She was being punished for some treasonous activity against the queen most likely. I'd noticed the dart game earlier and had used it as a distraction for people while I snagged their goods.

The woman reminded me of my wife. How she would have gone to any length to defend Snow White's goodness, even though in the end it meant she was killed. As one of he guards began to raise the ax, my good nature got the better of me. In one swift motion, I loaded my bow and shot, hitting him in the arm. That way he would be in too much pain to fight, but he should survive.

I flew up onto the stage and lunged at the other guard. He pulled out a sword and I grabbed my dagger from my waistband. He was strong, and ultimately had the advantage, but I was driven by the loss of my wife. I struggled against his strong blows and finally, knocked him off of the stage. The other man was now on his knees in the dirt, moaning in pain from my shot.

I scanned around me for the woman I had come to save. I found her on the ground beside the stage. She wasn't dead was she? No, I had come to save her, she couldn't be.
I ran over to her limp form and felt for a pulse. It was there. It was faint, but it was there. I had to get her to camp, I had supplies there to help. Here I could do nothing. I wrapped my arms around her and lifted her off the ground. Her limp body was dead weight, but I carried her through the crowd carefully until we had safely reached my camp that was nestled far into the woods nearby.

When I finally arrived at the camp, I was tired from the journey, but I couldn't give up on her now. I was greeted by Little John and a few other Merry men. I immediately ordered them to fetch substantial amounts of the herbs I would need to help this young woman. Why she was so important to save, I had no idea, but I knew that I would never forgive myself if she didn't pull through. I laid her down gently on a mat in my tent. She let out a groan but didn't wake up. "Shhh." I whispered, smoothing her hair from her face. "You're going to be all right." I told her this, knowing she couldn't hear me, and not even knowing if I was speaking the truth.

The men came with the herbs and I watched her throughout the night, only dividing my attention from her for a second to rock my son back to sleep. He was still just a young babe and he was in need of a mother. I couldn't raise him by myself, but the death of Marian was still so fresh, I couldn't bear to think of having another woman in her place.
I wiped sweat from the young woman's forehead, studying her face carefully. She had dark hair just as Marian had, this connection brought tears to my eyes, so I tried to distract myself with something else. Just focus on keeping this lady alive, I told myself. Her cheeks were red and hot with fever. I wished that she would wake up for long enough to get some of the herbs into her. That would help her fever break.

After doing this all night, Little John peeked his head into the tent, letting light pour through the open flap. "You should rest, Robin." He told me. "You've been with her all night, I can watch her now." But I stayed where I was, I couldn't leave her. She was my responsibility.

I turned away from Little John, looking back at the young lady. She let out a low groan and her eyes fluttered a bit as she tried turning to her side. I gently laid my hand on her arm to prevent her from moving. "No, no, no." I whispered. "Stay still." I told her and her eyes grew wide as she realized where she was. She clenched her teeth in pain and dropped her head back down onto the pillow. I found the herbal tea I'd brewed together last night and moved it toward her, slowly bringing it up to her mouth for her to sip. "Here." I said. "Drink this, it will help your fever, and the pain." I urged her to drink it, knowing she wouldn't be awake for much longer. She had to be tired, I knew I was, and I wasn't the one who was hurt and sick with a fever.

As I urged her to drink, the question again came to my mind. Why had I saved her? I had seen many people suffer the same fate as her and there wasn't anything about this young lady in particular that made her stand out in any way. Why had I saved her? After all, I was just a common thief. A man who had lost much, and had nothing much to give. Why had I saved her? The question continued to reverberate through my mind, but I continued to have no clear answer.