twenty one

May 17th-

Prom was tonight. I can honestly say that I still wasn't excited for prom itself, but I was very excited to take Eve and give her that special night she'd been dreaming of since she was a kid.

I didn't get to see her all day because she had actually decided that she wanted to at least have her hair done up nice and that took forever apparently. That was okay though, we didn't need to see each other all the time like most people seemed to. As long as we get at least a few words in somehow everything is okay even though we do miss each other. You can't fight life though.

Anyway, I had to wear a nice suit again and it took me less time but I was nervous because my style choice is a bit strange compared to others my age and I didn't want her to be upset or not like it. Which was dumb anyway because I knew that she liked me regardless and something that trivial wouldn't matter much to her.

I showed up at her house around six, nervous as hell. Eve still makes me nervous and I really like that about our relationship even though it makes me an awkward mess sometimes.

Her Mum told me I looked very handsome, which wasn't unusual because her Mum already thinks of me as her son-in-law and she loves to compliment me here and there, and that Eve would be down in a minute or two.

She was beaming before Eve had even appeared at the top of the stairs and my palms were sweating. Eve is always beautiful and I will always think so, but the way she looked tonight literally stole my breath straight from my lungs.

I remember thinking that feeling that I had when I saw her was what men who were about to be married felt when they saw their soon-to-be wife walking down the aisle. I'm sure that when that day comes it will be a much stronger feeling and she will look like an angel sent straight from heaven.

Her dress was simple, elegant, and very stunning the way that it hugged her curves and accented her natural beauty even though she had given in and wore much more makeup than usual.

I couldn't find the words to say, especially when she smiled at me with such a look of adoration and happiness that made it clear I was part of the center of her world, and so I smiled back with pretty much the same look because she is the center of my world.

I stumbled over my words when I tried to tell her just how wonderful she looked and she ended up stopping me with a gentle kiss. She bit her lip despite her makeup and told me that she really loved seeing me in a suit and this time I kissed her and told her that she would always look better.

We took a lot of pictures both because she wanted to for her little collection of us and because her mother just couldn't seem to stop taking them. Of course, I gave her the special corsage I had gotten for her and the usual things and then we took my parent's car to the venue.

It was hard to drive because I wanted to just sit there and stare at her all night. She laughed at me when I told her but the blush on her cheeks gave her away and I knew she would have let me even if it meant missing one of the special nights she'd dreamed of since she was a toddler.

Her mask was very elaborate and beautiful and I thought mine had been good but hers was the best. A good number of people stared at us once we got in and even after we had been inside for a while but it was fun because no one knew who we were.

Eve thanked me for bringing her after the first song we heard because she knew I didn't like these things but I told her that I didn't mind as long as I was with her and as long as she was happy. It's really hard to kiss with masks on.

We danced a lot, I was terrible and she knew it but she laughed with me and pretended that I was doing something right which actually made things so much more fun because her smile and her laugh were brilliant even under guise.

Things slowed down eventually and we had to go line up for the stupid king and queen announcement even though we both knew that we were never going to win. I held her hand because miraculously we both were on the ends and could do that and I bent down to whisper in her ear that even if we didn't win she would still be my queen.

She had almost kissed me then if it weren't for the actual announcement interrupting our little moment. Of course, the two most popular people won and everyone clapped but in my eyes I had won so much more than that silly crown, I had won Eve's heart and that was so much better than some piece of plastic.

Before I would dance to the first slow song with her I took the small tiara and sash from my jacket, the sash read Harry's Princess with some hearts around it, and placed them on her accordingly. She cried but not because she was sad and she hugged me like I was going to walk out of her life right after she had let go and told me that she loved me.

I wiped her tears away and kissed her sweetly before we danced to a few slow songs and just enjoyed each other's presence.

A good amount of time passed and I went to get us some drinks and when I came back the prom queen, Sabrina, was talking to Eve. From what I heard it sounded like she apologized for Eve not winning but it didn't sound genuine but Eve's response is what really made me smile and my heart pick up it's beat.

She told her that she didn't lose because she had me, and she waved me over with her hand and her beautiful smile to place her arms around my waist and hug me close. Eve told her that my love was far more valuable than some stupid title and Sabrina actually looked a little sad and angry all at once before she walked away without a word.

We left after that and abandoned the crappy drinks and packed atmosphere to go to the Steak and Shake on the corner where we shared two milkshakes and picked at each other's food. While everyone else partied and had sex, we sat on her back porch talking and staring at the fire.

She told me that tonight was among the best days of her life and that she was so very lucky to have me. I told her that I was the lucky one and she blushed and somehow we ended up kissing for a while before I had to get home and she had to begin the process of taking down her hair which made us both laugh.

I can't believe that high school is almost over and that soon she's going to leave to go to the Rhode Island School of Design and get her degree in art and English while I will be stuck here not knowing what I want to do with my life other than be with her.

I hope that even thousands of miles away, for months at a time, that she still loves me because I really want to marry her some day and I don't know what I will do without her in my life.

H.