Chapter 27: Games and Bears

Start from the beginning

"Pack up your things, everybody," I instructed, biting down on my smile. "We're going to Oregon!"

Everyone celebrated by high-fiving and cheering and stuff like that, and they filed out of my room enthusiastically. Michael helped me to my feet, and I wobbled a bit. This was going to take some getting used to. Sure, I had walked a little when I no longer needed to use my crutches, but I still had a limp in my step, and I couldn't walk very far without sitting down from the pain. This was different, and even though I loved it, it was a little disconcerting.

"What's the plan?" Michael asked as we packed our things.

"We're going to southeast Oregon," I said simply. "I'll probably take some detours and lots of stops just to make the trip longer. During that time, we'll need Luke and Allison to split. The real problem is making that happen. But once it does, we'll come up with a plan to take down Allison and set you free."

"Seems legit," he said with a hint of sarcasm, and I threw my sandal at his head. He ducked and laughed. "I'm just kidding! Okay, that makes sense. But Luke and Allison are all buddy-buddy now. There's no way that they're going to break up with each other."

"Well, of course they're not if you have that kind of attitude," I scolded him. "You need to think positively. Luke and Allison will break up eventually."

"It just seems wrong to hope for my best friend's heartbreak," Michael mumbled.

I hesitated for a second before facing him. "It's worse to hope that he and Allison will stay together forever. She isn't good for him. Think of it this way: you wouldn't want your friend to date a total witch, right? You know that he could do better."

The guitarist only hummed in response. He never looked at me once. "I guess...."

I rolled my eyes. "Forget it. I know that I wouldn't want my best friend to date a total witch, so I would do everything in my power to show them the truth. That's what we're doing, and that isn't wrong. So you don't have to feel bad."

"Tell that to my guilty conscience," Michael retorted. "Okay, I think I'm ready. Are you?"

"Not yet. I still have to pack all of my toiletries."

"Ew."

"You're such a kid."

I limped over to the bathroom, gingerly adding more and more weight to my weak foot. I gathered up my makeup, toothpaste and toothbrush, and other things before leaving. I shoved them in a single pocket on my suitcase and zipped it all up. Now I was ready to go.

"Alright," I said, gently placing my heavy bag on my shoulder. "Let's go."

"Where are we going first?" Michael asked as we headed over to the inn's main building.

"We're driving the rest of the way through Oklahoma, to that little tiny part," I said. "Then we'll cross into Colorado, then Idaho, then Wyoming, and then Oregon. It's a straight shoot once we're out of Oklahoma."

"What's a 'straight shoot'?" he echoed curiously.

"Straight line," I explained.

"Oh. Then why didn't you just say that?"

I rolled my eyes but smiled in amusement. I did that a lot whenever I hung out with Michael. Our relationship was as strange as ever. It didn't feel like we were friends quite yet, but we definitely weren't enemies. We weren't living up to our claim of being twins, but that was fine with me. I preferred to think of Michael as a hot wannabe punk rocker rather than my twin, anyway.

The others were waiting for us at the inn, as usual, and we waved at them enthusiastically. Michael tossed the keys to the bus at me, and I caught them in one hand. We all boarded and breathed a collective sigh of relief. I felt strangely safe now that we were back on the bus.